MY FRIEND'S HOARD OF MANDOLINS

MandolinTalk

Moderator: Dave Hanson

MY FRIEND'S HOARD OF MANDOLINS

Postby hometown » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:23 pm

Hello, I am new to the Forum although I have been interested in mandolins since the late '60s when I was transfixed by Rory Gallagher playing "Going to my Hometown" and I now own a couple of these beautiful instruments.
A friend has recently (sadly) died and I have been asked by his son to catalogue his collection of instruments and offer advice on selling them. I was staggered when I discovered just how many instruments my friend has collected over the years, being mandolins, banjos, and violins (although he preferred to call them fiddles).
I have now finished cataloguing the instruments and I thought it may be of interest to the forum members to learn that they will be sold through 1818 Auctioneers of Kendal who offer online/telephone bidding at their next musical instrument auction.
There are 25 mandolins including the famous Gibson A1 previously owned by Dave "Swarb" Swarbrick, possibly best known for his work with Fairport Convention .. including an email from Swarb verifying that this is the mandolin used on all his recordings. There are two "The Gibson" A-styles (c1914 & c1917), a Flatiron, two Fyldes, two Ashburys etc.
I could certainly list them all if it would be of any interest.
hometown

Re: MY FRIEND'S HOARD OF MANDOLINS

Postby Dave Hanson » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:52 pm

List them, we are all interested here.
I remember seeing Swarbs A1 up for sale at the time.

Thanks, Dave H
Dave Hanson

Postby Ray(T) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:31 pm

Sounds like he has nearly as many as I have - clearly a sufferer from MAS!

Yes please, do list them and hopefully they'll have more success than Paul Brett had when he sold part of his guitar collection, last year, in Leyburn, much of which didn't sell.

Like Dave, I remember the mandolin Swarb sold - somewhat over-priced in my opinion - no doubt I'll be proved either right or wrong by the auction.
Ray(T)

Postby hometown » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:17 pm

I have inspected all of my friend's instruments .. here are his mandolins:
1. Kentucky KM-855 F, serial 080529-1, hard case
2. Ashbury Standard Celtic Mandolin (designed by Phil Davidson), hard case.
3. Ashbury Standard Octave Mandola, Style E, soft case.
4. Ozark Professional 2251 Mandolin, soft case.
5. Barnes & Mullins (London) "Salvino" Mandolin, BM650, soft case.
6. Heartwood (Tonewood) AM-70NA Mandolin, soft case.
7. Thomas Buchanan Mandolin, Flat Top Maple, serial 041004, soft case.
8. Musikalia - Dr Alfio Leone Mandolin, Neopolitan Mandolin No 146, dated 30/11/06, soft case.
9. Gold Tone OM-800+ Octave Mandolin, serial 21210032, hard case.
10. Freshwater handmade solid wood Bouzouki, 1993, soft case.
11. Ozark Professional solid top 2255 "F" Mandolin, hard case.
12. Fylde Touchstone Mandolin, serial 2687, soft case.
13. "The Gibson" A-style Mandolin, c1917, oval soundhole, binding to body and hole, single purfling around hole,
serial 48913, stamped "Pat July 4 1911", hard case.
14. "The Gibson" A-style Mandolin, c1914, oval soundhole, binding to body and hole, single purfling around hole,
serial 17201, stamped "Pat July 4 1911", hard case.
15. "The Gibson" Master Model Festival F, "The Flatiron", serial 01019080, hard case.
16. Fylde Mandola, serial 3026, (Octave), hard case.

the following are old "bowl" mandolins:
17. Stella, old case
18. Ferrari & Co, Napoli, no case
19. F De Mureda, Napoli, no case
20. Guisseppe Indelicato Cantarino, Catania N210, old case
21. Alfonso Moretti, Napoli, old case
22. Achille Lanfranco & Figlio, Napoli, old case
23. Lucciani, Napoli, old case
24. Carlo Ricordo, Napoli, N100S, no case

That's it for the mandolins .. I will list the banjos and fiddles if anyone is interested

I was amazed to find that quite a few of the instruments do not appear to have been played .. I guess my friend just loved to collect them .. so I am sure that there will be some bargains to pick up on the eventual day of the auction .. I know that I will be bidding on a couple!!
hometown

Postby Dave Hanson » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:57 pm

Thanks for posting hometown, they will take a good bit of looking at.

By all means post the banjos too, I play tenor banjo as well as mandolin, I'm sure there will be some interest here.

Dave H
Dave Hanson

Postby Ray(T) » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:51 pm

Thanks for that hometown. If you PM me the Factory Order Numbers (FON) of the Gibson As (you'll find these stamped inside on the neck block) I'll let you have an accurate date for them. Most published lists of serial numbers are accepted as somewhat inaccurate. The FON confirms the date when they started building the batch of instruments whereas the serial number indicates when they were shipped to dealers.

Don't/Can't play the fiddle. I'll say nothing about the banjos! :evil:
Ray(T)

Postby hometown » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:44 pm

I have been chatting with my (deceased) friend's son who has no interest whatsoever in music and he is pretty desperate to get all the instruments out of the house for ever (apart from a couple which he has kept in memory of his father). We discussed the auction and, naturally, 1818 Auctioneers will be putting a "reserve" on each instrument .. however, because the lad wants them all to sell, he has instructed 1818 to sell even if the reserve is not reached .. so, more than ever, I feel that there will be some bargains on the day.

Here are the banjos for the anyone interested:
1. Grafton Tenor Banjo "Popular #2" Resonator, strap, soft case
2. Ashbury Banjo Uke Resonator, soft case
3. Gold Tone EC-1 Banjo, open back, tree of life, serial 2406093, soft case
4. Dixie Banjo Mandolin, open back, crescent moon inlays, (patented June 29 1920), strap, soft case
5. John Grey & Sons (London) Banjo Uke Resonator c1930, hard case
6. "George Formby" Banjo Uke Resonator, No 3822, hard case
7. ....as above...No 3715...
8. B & H London "Holborn" Banjo Uke Resonator, soft case
9. Gold Tone WL250 White Lady, open back, 5 string, serial 2507086
10. Princess Tenor Banjo, crescent moon & dot inlays, stamped "patented June 29 1920", soft case
11. 22 fret Resonator Banjo with "EG" inlay on peghead, 5 string with sliding capo, well-used hard case marked with logo
"The Brewery Folk"
12. Alfred Weaver 4 string Banjo (c1912-30?), stamped "A WEAVER MAKER LONDON WC", hard case
13. Banjo Uke (unknown make), soft case
14. Gold Tone Tenor Banjo, Resonator, 4 string, TS 250 AT, strap, hard case
15. Rally White Lady Banjo, 5 string, open back, serial N15795, hard case
16. Tennessee Premium Line Tenor Banjo, 4 string, Resonator, hard case
17. Barnes & Mullins Troubadour BJ500M burr maple Banjo, Resonator, 5 string, hard case
18. John Grey decorated, open back, 5 string Banjo, strap, soft case
19. "The Gibson" Big Resonator Banjo Uke (UB-3, c1928?), original hard case
20. Majestic Banjo, 5 string, open back, c1920s, strap, soft case
21. Rally Banjo Mandolin, Type DBM8, open back, serial N6867, strap, soft case
22. Lyon & Healy Tenor Banjo, standard scale, Resonator, strap, soft case
23. John Grey & Sons (London) Banjo, 4 string, Resonator, No 53056, old case

I am no expert on banjos but quite a few seem to have been bought new by my friend and it appears that he has played these very little as they still appear almost new.
hometown

Postby Ray(T) » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:01 pm

I see the auction catalogue has now hit the streets - well on t'interweb at least. The downside is that the auctioneer has seen fit not to include any photographs which is likely to severely restrict the level of interest likely to be generated. Great if you're looking to buy and can go to the sale!

EDIT: Some days later- photographs now seem to have been added. The best way to view them is probably via the-saleroom.com - search for "mandolin"; or anything else if you're so inclined!
Ray(T)

Postby JIMMY POWELLS » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:31 am

I spoke to the auctioneer re The Flatiron. The receipt says made in USA and serial number 01019080. He says the recipt was dated 2010 and shows made in USA. New from Thomann. I didn't think Gibson were making these in USA in 2010. Can anyone throw any light on this .

Thanks

Jimmy Powells

01670 715564 Ob: 07904 165211 Auction is on Monday 2nd May.
Jimmy Powells
JIMMY POWELLS

Return to All mandolin subjects