Gibson A50 Mandolin

MandolinTalk

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Gibson A50 Mandolin

Postby Laurence Kell » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:52 am

Hi,

I have a Gibson A50 mandolin that I would like to sell. Can anyone give me an idea of it's age, current value and any other info.
It comes with a case, is in good condition, no cracks just a few knocks to the varnish here and there.
The serial number is T6405 31

Many thanks in advance, Laurence

P.S The machine heads are not original, and it has no pickguard.
Laurence Kell

Re: Gibson A50 Mandolin

Postby Dave Hanson » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:13 pm

Hi Laurence, a good person to ask would be Dan Beimborn, he is a member here but not very active, he is a Gibson expert and maintains The Gibson Mandolin Archive, failing that I would ask at http://www.mandolincafe.com a great source of info.

Dave H
Dave Hanson

Postby Ray(T) » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:57 pm

Dan seems to be a very busy man at the best of times; he works in the City, and has difficulty finding time to maintain the Mandolin Archive so I would go with Dave's suggestion of posting on the Cafe.

Before you do, however, could you check the serial number? The format of the one you've quoted, I don't recognise. Gibson mandolins have two numbers. A Factory Order Number (FON) which you will find stamped inside on the neck block and the Serial Number which should be written on the label or stamped into the wood somewhere on the head.

Gibson mandolins, from certain periods, are notoriously difficult to date and, if you do post on the Cafe, the first thing you're likely to be asked is for photos which can be a great help in tying things down. In theory, the FON can tell you the date the mandolin was produced and the serial number the date it was shipped out of the factory.

The advice on likely value you'll get from the cafe will be considerably lower than what it might be worth on the UK. Most Cafe contributors are from the US and values on the UK can be significantly skewed as Gibson mandolins are rarer in the UK and have a certain kudos beyond what they really may be worth. Ultimately, it will depend on its condition and originality possibly inthe region of £900/£1000 but you may persuade someone to pay more for one. Personally, I think there are better models you're likely to find for that sort of price but you don't see many of them come up at any price.
Ray(T)

Postby Laurence Kell » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:56 pm

Hi Dave and Ray,
I already posted on the cafe forum. They came back with a date of 1958.
Thanks and all the best, Laurence.
Laurence Kell

Return to All mandolin subjects