Guitarist starting mandolin guidance appreciated

MandolinTalk

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Guitarist starting mandolin guidance appreciated

Postby Angrybeesting » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:25 pm

Hello. I am another long time guitar player who has decided to have a go at mandolin. I had a good look at the forums before buying an instrument an have just bought a Kentucky KM252A. I chose this because I got a chance to play a reasonably set up example from Hobgoblin in Leeds who had a good selection. It sounds good to me compared to the others I tried and looks nice enough to sell or trade in if I want to in the future. This way I have a dealer to sort out any problems and I really don't like buying musical instruments unseen. I am not entirely unfamiliar with the mandolin family as I have a mandola (tuned G,D,A,E,) which I built under supervision by a luthier 30 years ago and used for Irish sessions I was into at the time. I have a long appreciation of bluegrass mandolin and if anybody has a particular book/cd/DVD tutor they can recommend (not necessarily bluegrass, I do folk as well) before I get into bad habits that would be good. I will look at on-line stuff but there is so much that finding useful stuff is difficult.
Meanwhile I will see if any of my local musician friends know any mandolin players locally.
Angrybeesting
Angrybeesting

Re: Guitarist starting mandolin guidance appreciated

Postby colirv » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:01 am

Simon Mayor's books are excellent.
Colin
colirv

Postby John Kelly » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:53 pm

As a guitarist you will be used to playing with a finger per fret - four fingers of your fretting hand covering four frets on the guitar fingerboard. On mandolin we use ONE finger to cover TWO frets (shorter scale allows this). On guitar the fretting fingers are placed more or less across the fretboard, parallel to the frets, while on mandolin your fretting fingers are more pointing down the fingerboard, more like a fiddler has his/her hand.

Apart from this have fun and you will quickly get into the ways of the mandolin.
JK Mandolins - handcrafted in Argyll, Scotland
John Kelly

Postby Angrybeesting » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:27 pm

J.K.
Thanks for the tip for the fingering. I just tried that and I see what you mean, much easier than parallel as we do on guitar. I got a Simon Mayor book as well it has some familiar tunes in it to get me started.
Angrybeesting
Angrybeesting

Return to All mandolin subjects