CITES

MandolinTalk

Moderator: Dave Hanson

CITES

Postby atticus » Thu May 25, 2017 8:10 am

CITES is the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species.

And the relevance to mandolins: rosewood. Rosewood is a tropical hardwood. Apparently the Chinese can't get enough of it for ostentatious furniture.

In February I placed an order for a Breedlove mandolin. Spruce top, maple body ... and rosewood neck.

It now appears that there is a problem. Earlier this year, rosewood was placed on the CITES list - international trade in products made of or containing rosewood is pretty much banned. So I am trying to find out what Breedlove may be doing, and what other possibilities there may be.

It seems that US instrument makers are lobbying for a relaxation of the rules. I suspect that if that happens, it will take a very long time.

From what I have read in the last couple of days, it appears that there may also be issues for musicians travelling internationally with their instruments, especially to the US. So take care, take advice.

(The mandolin I ordered is a Breedlove Crossover KF. If there is no other solution and I get my deposit back I will have a budget of up to about £700.)
beginner - with an Ozark 2001 mandolin
atticus

Re: CITES

Postby atticus » Thu May 25, 2017 8:17 am

atticus

Postby Ray(T) » Thu May 25, 2017 2:46 pm

There is a lot of discussion on Mandolin Cafe re. the exportation of instruments containing rosewood and you might like to look over there.

Are you sure it actually has a rosewood neck? - as opposed to a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard, which would make more sense. The option would be to order one with an ebony fretboard; I understand that a fretboardsworth of ebony doesn't get caught up by the rules.
Ray(T)

Postby Ray(T) » Fri May 26, 2017 2:09 pm

Is someone possibly spinning you a line on this one? According to the Breedlove website, the fretboard is "Ebony" and there's not a mention of "Rosewood" anywhere. - http://breedlovemusic.com/mandolins/kf-1

You could get an FF SB - which does have a rosewood fretboard - for £749 here - https://www.forsyths.co.uk/instruments/ ... over-.html

If it were me, the gloss finish would clinch it!
Ray(T)

Postby atticus » Sat May 27, 2017 9:18 am

No, it's this one. Yes, it's the fretboard.
atticus

Postby Ray(T) » Sat May 27, 2017 5:03 pm

There are many more fish in the sea if Breedlove can't/won't produce one they can export. Why do you particularly want that mandolin?
Ray(T)

Postby atticus » Tue May 30, 2017 12:26 pm

Why that one?

Well, I really like how it looks!

I did some research and figured it would do nicely for me within my budget. Obviously if I can't get this one I will have to look again. I may come back to this forum for suggestions for mandolins and where to get them, preferably in Hampshire, but otherwise in the UK (or even the EU while the UK is still in it).
atticus

Postby Dave Hanson » Tue May 30, 2017 2:46 pm

You should check out TAMCO [ The Acoustic Music Company ] in Brighton, the largest selection of quality mandolins [ and guitars ] in the UK, great website and a mail order service second to none.

Dave H
Dave Hanson

Postby Ray(T) » Tue May 30, 2017 8:59 pm

Yes, I'd second what Dave says. There is certainly nowhere else in the UK which can compete with TAMCO's selection and there aren't many places on earth which can better it. The only issue you're likely to have is with the price range of the instruments he stocks - mainly hand built rather than mass produced.

Having scanned the cafe for the latest CITES info, I get the impression that building instruments which include rosewood isn't banned; just that the rosewood element needs certification. My guess would be that the manufacturers, if they aren't simply to cease trading, will either get their act together and provide certification or use different woods.
Ray(T)

Postby atticus » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:21 am

The upshot is that as there is no resolution in sight, I have cancelled the order and the deposit is being refunded.

I am going to see a luthier in Reading to discuss what he can do (see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1206#p5588)
atticus

Return to All mandolin subjects