Luthier in Reading

MandolinTalk

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Luthier in Reading

Postby atticus » Wed May 31, 2017 1:07 pm

I came across this site: does anyone know of Bogdan Dobraszczyk?

http://www.bogdandobraszczyk.co.uk/home.html
beginner - with an Ozark 2001 mandolin
atticus

Re: Luthier in Reading

Postby John Kelly » Wed May 31, 2017 4:25 pm

The instruments look very well made from what I can see in the pictures and especially from the costs he is quoting.

I pursued a similar course of action back in 2003/4, retiring from 35 years ot teaching English in a secondary school and going to Anniesland College in Glasgow to learn instrument making, then pursuing this hobby ever since. I do not go looking for commissions but have had a fair bit of interest in the instruments I have built over the past 12-or-so years (35 mandolins plus octaves, a bouzouki and a few guitars) and most of my builds have gone to players who have heard them at first hand and decided that they liked what they heard.

His prices seem very low but I imagine that he is not relying on his luthiery as his main source of income, though by having the website he is certainly looking for some business. I had a website as a sort of project to try to get feedback from other builders or players, but have not had one for the past three or four years - took too much of my time keeping it current with photos and articles.
JK Mandolins - handcrafted in Argyll, Scotland
John Kelly

Postby atticus » Wed May 31, 2017 5:08 pm

interestingly, I found the website via a link in an Ebay ad: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/hand-made-man ... SwaB5XsbPr

Referring to my CITES thread, if the Breedlove order doesn't work out, I may well contact this man.
atticus

Postby Ray(T) » Wed May 31, 2017 7:36 pm

He is in the Mandolin Cafe builders database. That's not to say that he has any sort of reputation but you might like to ask if anyone knows anything about him over there.
Ray(T)

Postby atticus » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:05 am

Thank you, I will.
atticus

Postby atticus » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:23 am

Well, no replies on Mandolin Café. But I have made contact, and will arrange to visit him. He says that he should be able to produce an interesting instrument within my budget. I am excited about the possibility of having a unique instrument for about the same as I would have paid for the Breedlove.
atticus

Postby John Kelly » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:30 am

Sounds promising. Keep us in the loop if you decide to go ahead. He will be keen to get something going too, as a small builder who can produce one-off items.
John Kelly

Postby atticus » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:54 pm

I meant to say that I have met Bogdan Dobraszczyk, and he will make me a mandolin.

Can I ask if there is any particular reasons why fingerboards are usually dark in colour? Is it just about hiding finger marks from repeated use? I am thinking of a pale coloured neck, on a pale coloured instrument (pine top, maple sides and back)
atticus

Postby John Kelly » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:12 pm

A fair question, Atticus. Why indeed are fingerboards more often dark woods? I have used maple for some fingerboards, as an architect friend gave me some solid Canadian maple he had acquired for flooring and it was well seasoned, so I got some fingerboards out of it. Enough for a neck or two as well. Leo Fender used maple boards as well as rosewood on his Stratocasters and Telecasters. The neck and fingerboards were one-piece maple rather than a separate fingerboard. I have a Telecaster with maple board/neck and it's a lovely instrument. He used a gloss finish to protect the maple from marking too much and if you go with this, I'd suggest you might want to have this done to your mandolin too.
John Kelly

Return to All mandolin subjects