Best light gauge mandolin strings

MandolinTalk

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Best light gauge mandolin strings

Postby fergmaun » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:18 am

What is the best light gauge strings and brand.

I have a secondhand Kentucky KM-171 mandolin I got from hobgoblin music shop that came with light gauge strings.

I would go for 80/20 Bronze wound or phosphor bronze wound. Any different.

Cheers

Fergus
fergmaun

Re: Best light gauge mandolin strings

Postby Dave Hanson » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:44 am

phosphor bronze strings tend to sound ' warmer ' than bright bronze or nickel.

Dave H
Dave Hanson

Postby Ray(T) » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:14 pm

The usual advice would be to start with d'Addario EJ73 or 74 (light or medium) and see how you like them. Personally, I've never found much meed to use anything else for the last decade and a half.
Ray(T)

Postby fergmaun » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:47 am

I would go for D'Addario Phosphor Bronze EJ73 10- 38 gauge.

I use Newtone strings Phosphor Bronze on my David Freshwater Irish Bouzouki http://www.eaglemusicshop.com

On website https://www.newtonestrings.com/shop/mandolin-strings/ list different gauge sizes, core type.

What is the different round core vs hex core strings and what core usually strings like D'Addario come set up with.

different sting gauge size
8-30
9-35
10-37
11-39

Cheers

Ferg
fergmaun

Postby Ray(T) » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:02 pm

Hi Ferg,
Regarding Newtone strings, they come in different guagues from Eagle music 'cos that's they way they ordered them but if you ask them nicely they will do custom sets. You'll find "standard" sets on the Newtone website but they will make you up sets with whatever guauges/cores/ends you want and you'll have them in a little over a week. The last time I checked it was slightly cheaper ordering direct.

I had exactly the same question with respect to the difference between hex and round cores and, to quote Neil Silverman (who runs Newtone) - "Round cores do feel slightly lighter due to a slightly lower tension, this gives a warmer 'played in' tone."

I ordered a few sets of mandola strings with hex. cores last time but I intend to try the round cores when I order some more. I also use them on my OM as nobody makes a standard set and it needs ball ends.
Ray
Ray(T)

Postby colirv » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:30 am

I use EJ74s on all my mandolins. Not found better.
Colin
colirv

Postby Daniel » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:24 am

I gig with two mandolins.
- a Gary Vessel F5 with an Englemann spruce top and English maple body gets D'Addario EJ-74s (11-40)
- a Mix F5 made of carbon fibre gets Elixir lights (10 to 34)

I'm a bit of a tone purist, so I mentally prefer mediums. But I have learned that you can overload carbon fibre which will strangle the tone (I tried mediums on a Rainsong OM-1000 guitar, yuck!). I also tend to gig most with the cf as it's a bit more robust, and the lighter strings are a touch easier to play fast. Might be 10bpm difference in the same amount of effort. So expediency is forcing me to yield up my purist tendencies!

best,
Daniel
Daniel

Return to All mandolin subjects