Anyone playing electric?

MandolinTalk

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Anyone playing electric?

Postby Daniel » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:16 pm

I've got 3 electric solidbody mandolins that I have been sorely tempted lately to dig out of moth balls.

A Fender 8 string emando made in 2002 before the current batch of mando-strats, a first run Epi Mandobird (gols sparkly paint oo!), and a JBovier FMC-5, 5 string.

The Fender sounds like you'd think a "mando-strat" would sound. I've recorded with it, and will do do again.
The Epi is set up and strung for mandola tuning, and it gets a sort of Santana sound, oddly enough.
The JBovier looks like s small version of a TV yellow Jeff Beck Strat, but the Jbovier pickups make it sound like a Les Paul. I love the way it looks, but I have not found the application for it's tonal qualities yet. (I'm really a Fender guy I guess!)

Anyone else plugging in, running through effects pedals, and generally making a racket these days?

Daniel
Daniel

Re: Anyone playing electric?

Postby Ray(T) » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:29 pm

Always fancied one so I bought a Mandostrat shortly after they came out. I can't say I've particularly taken to it and I find it difficult to get a sound that I find useful (weak pickups) so it doesn't get played that often; mainly because I have so many other instruments which have a wide variety of acoustic sounds.

I also have a Godin electric guitar which has a much more useful sound together with synth access so if I want a Strat. or a Les Paul, a Tele., a cello, a string bass, or even a church organ, all I have to do is dial it in. The world's my lobster, as they say!
Ray(T)

Re: Anyone playing electric?

Postby atticus » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:48 pm

I did like the look of this, posted a little while back by Gary Nava.
beginner - with an Ozark 2001 mandolin
atticus

Return to All mandolin subjects