BMG Federation Rally, 1-2 Mar 2008

MandolinTalk

Moderator: Dave Hanson

BMG Federation Rally, 1-2 Mar 2008

Postby nigelgatherer » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:39 am

It's now about three weeks since the gathering in East Kilbride of various guitarists, banjoists and mandolinists for the BMG Rally. It was a feast for any fretted instrument enthusiast, with a superb opening concert by Bristol-based choro group Brejeiro, many workshops on the Saturday, followed by an open stage and ceilidh, and competitions on the Sunday.

As usual, I wasn't able to get to any workshops because I was leading two Celtic Music workshops myself, but by all accounts, they were very successful. Mando player Mike Pryor did two Bluegrass workshops, while banjo ace Rob Myers mesmerised his banjo group in the Banjo Styles session. Frances Taylor performed her usual magic in Baroque Duets, while ace mandolinist Dave Griffiths took a Latin Rythms workshop.

I was once again privileged to be a adjudicator in some of the Sunday competitions, and it was heart-warming to hear such talent from participants young and old.

The British BMG (banjo/mandolin/guitar) Federation has come under some criticism over the past few years, but as an organisation it is going from strength to strength, trying to include as many styles, genres and players as possible. The revamped newsletter, issued four times a year, is worth the subscription alone, with articles on Blues Mandolin, Celtic music, Baroque, plus reviews, interviews.

http://www.banjomandolinguitar.co.uk/
Nigel Gatherer
www.nigelgatherer.com
nigelgatherer

Return to All mandolin subjects