http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zxERcgwyNV0
talking
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nx8M0Nujx ... re=related
talking
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gfYB3RAEo24
Pentatonics
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ-mR0sofsY
Patterns

If anyone has names for these scales let me know.

There are more to clips to come.

Pete
I sell backing tracks on my website www.pete-hartley.co.uk
I also sell a how to play the blues fiddle DVD, individual lessons can be downloaded.
PeteHartley

Postby Ray(T) » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:29 am

Why the suit? and which prison was it recorded in!!

Seriously, in the middle of the first one I was thinking of Grapelli and then you mentioned him. Thought you were going to refer to his session with Menhuen - when asked what he thought he replied that he was good but he didn't swing. Have you ever come across the live recording of Grapellli with the Grisman 5? They did the music for a film which I think was called Caravans and this was followed by a tour and a record.

I'll watch the rest when I get chance.
Ray
Ray(T)

Postby Uncle Choppy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:00 pm

I wasn't sure what to expect with this but I thought it was very good, particularly when you started playing!

It was nice to hear pentatonics demonstrated outside the ususal blues context. I've only ever messed with the basic major and minor pentatonics (on guitar) but the variations were interesting. I definitley heard the Shankar influence on the stuff you played over the G drone (I love the Shakti albums).

One issue is that I'd have liked you to spend more time on spelling out exactly which notes you were using to get the particular harmonic flavour of each example. At least on YouTube, I can go back and try and work out the notes but in a live workshop it would have just zipped right over my head!
(Of course I am probably be a lot slower/more stupid that your typical student!)

I'd also have liked to hear you explain how you go about improvising over changes, even just the typical I IV V stuff. As a guitarist, I've tended to stick with just the one scale (e.g. Am pentatonic over a 12-bar in A) but there is clearly a much greater range of possibilities there.

Still - it looked like a very interesting presentation. I still struggle to play basic tunes but I could see how your workshop would be of great interest to jazz and bluegrass players where improvised breaks are part of the genre.
Uncle Choppy

Postby Annoying Twit » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:43 pm

I enjoyed this, and have been going through the pentatonic patterns with instruments I have to hand (*). I've been able to put some of those patterns into use while doing more general practicing.

I really like the electronic violin bits. The electronic violinist I'm most familiar with is Jean-Luc Ponty. As my older brothers introduced me to Frank Zappa at an early age. Any comments on Jean-Luc Ponty, Pete?

As for the recording, I think that technically it could be better. Did you have a single camera which you put on a stand, recording only from the single microphone? Your voice was a bit distant, and the instruments loud.

If you could get yourself and equipment to Leicester sometime, it might be interesting to rerecord that general sort of description using a proper studio with multiple methods of recording, a proper camera, and lighting. With the variety of sounds, and presumably without wanting to get obvious mics and/or monitoring headphones in the way, it's an interesting recording problem.

(*) As this is a mandolin forum with high folk content, I'll ask you not to incriminate myself by saying which instruments.
Annoying Twit

Postby PeteHartley » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:13 am

Thanks guys!!

I will post a proper reply tomorrow.

Pete
I also sell a how to play the blues fiddle DVD, individual lessons can be downloaded.
PeteHartley

Postby PeteHartley » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:05 am

Uncle Choppy wrote:I wasn't sure what to expect with this but I thought it was very good, particularly when you started playing!

It was nice to hear pentatonics demonstrated outside the ususal blues context. I've only ever messed with the basic major and minor pentatonics (on guitar) but the variations were interesting. I definitley heard the Shankar influence on the stuff you played over the G drone (I love the Shakti albums).

One issue is that I'd have liked you to spend more time on spelling out exactly which notes you were using to get the particular harmonic flavour of each example. At least on YouTube, I can go back and try and work out the notes but in a live workshop it would have just zipped right over my head!
(Of course I am probably be a lot slower/more stupid that your typical student!)

I'd also have liked to hear you explain how you go about improvising over changes, even just the typical I IV V stuff. As a guitarist, I've tended to stick with just the one scale (e.g. Am pentatonic over a 12-bar in A) but there is clearly a much greater range of possibilities there.

Still - it looked like a very interesting presentation. I still struggle to play basic tunes but I could see how your workshop would be of great interest to jazz and bluegrass players where improvised breaks are part of the genre.

Thanks Uncle Choppy I will be writing some stuff out for the future clinics, and I will be going into more detail about getting around changes.
Watch this space!
PeteHartley

Postby PeteHartley » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:11 am

Ray(T) wrote:Why the suit? and which prison was it recorded in!!

Seriously, in the middle of the first one I was thinking of Grapelli and then you mentioned him. Thought you were going to refer to his session with Menhuen - when asked what he thought he replied that he was good but he didn't swing. Have you ever come across the live recording of Grapellli with the Grisman 5? They did the music for a film which I think was called Caravans and this was followed by a tour and a record.

I'll watch the rest when I get chance.
Ray

Thanks Ray

I have got a couple of the Stefan / Grisman tracks off one of Grismans compilation CDs, I think it brought out the best in both of them. I play Dawgma in fact I've got a good backing track for it.
PeteHartley

Postby PeteHartley » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am

Annoying Twit wrote:I enjoyed this, and have been going through the pentatonic patterns with instruments I have to hand (*). I've been able to put some of those patterns into use while doing more general practicing.

I really like the electronic violin bits. The electronic violinist I'm most familiar with is Jean-Luc Ponty. As my older brothers introduced me to Frank Zappa at an early age. Any comments on Jean-Luc Ponty, Pete?

As for the recording, I think that technically it could be better. Did you have a single camera which you put on a stand, recording only from the single microphone? Your voice was a bit distant, and the instruments loud.

If you could get yourself and equipment to Leicester sometime, it might be interesting to rerecord that general sort of description using a proper studio with multiple methods of recording, a proper camera, and lighting. With the variety of sounds, and presumably without wanting to get obvious mics and/or monitoring headphones in the way, it's an interesting recording problem.

(*) As this is a mandolin forum with high folk content, I'll ask you not to incriminate myself by saying which instruments.

Comments on JLP, he is a brilliant violinist that set the standard for electric violin in fusion, My opinion is that he went very bland in the late 70s 80s and can have a cold sort of a sound. In more resent years he has been involved in much more interesting projects and possibly taking a few more risks musically.

I totally agree about the quality, for the next one I will set up a mic close to me and I hope to have 2 cameras.
Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it perhaps you could email me your phone number info@pete-hartley.co.uk

Pete
PeteHartley

Postby Mandopaul » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:47 pm

You certainly know your way round the fretboard mate and have inspired me to practice more if i can possibly find the time.
Paul
Mandopaul

Re: Some youTube from my Improvisation clinic

Postby steve788 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:58 am

The videos seem to have been taken down from Youtube(?).
steve788

Re: Some youTube from my Improvisation clinic

Postby Dave Hanson » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:34 pm

All now unavailable.

Dave H
Dave Hanson

Return to All mandolin subjects