Self Help Group in London

MandolinTalk

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Postby Tosh Marshall » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:51 pm

I want to start a self help group in London based on Traditional Session type music on a Sunday morning for a couple of hours for beginners to intermediate players. I just feel it’s important to have a regular place where one can feel positive and get help and encouragement from fellow players based on a traditional repertoire. I have been looking at rehearsal studios and wanted something as central as possible but the most cost effective ones are Westbourne Studios at Royal Oak or The Joint in Kings Cross which are accessible depending on availability. If anyone is interested please pm me.
Tosh Marshall

Postby nigelgatherer » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:05 pm

Great idea, Tosh. I am several hundred miles from London, but if I can help in any way - advice, materials, etc, then get in touch. I have run learning sessions for many years, and I'm heavily involved in getting people into playing traditional music. Do keep us (or me) informed about your progress.
Nigel Gatherer
www.nigelgatherer.com
nigelgatherer

Thanks Nigel

Postby Tosh Marshall » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:24 pm

Hi Nigel,
I have a couple of people interested and hopefully we'll get a few more. Will take you up on your offer of advice, thanks very much for your support.
All the best
Tosh
Tosh Marshall

Times

Postby Tosh Marshall » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:32 pm

I know I initially said Sunday mornings, but if it is better for people for a couple of hours midweek, say a Tues or Thurs evening, then that is fine with me. I do need a few more people to make it worthwhile so I hope I can persuade a few to join up. I know there are plenty in the London area. There is no cost involved as I am paying for the studio time.
Many thanks
Tosh
Tosh Marshall

Postby mikejkeen » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:32 am

Hi

I could well be interested, being based in SE London. I play some English, Irish, French and Old Time music. On Tuesday nights I've recently started playing at the Lord Hood Greenwich English session run by Greentrad (have a website). This starts at 9pm. The pub and session are very welcoming so another option could be to meet there at 7.30pm on a Tuesday, before the proper session starts.

Keep me posted mikekeen<at>breathe.com
Mike K
mikejkeen

Greenwich

Postby Tosh Marshall » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:20 pm

Hi Mike,
I have been meaning to go over to the Greenwich Session, I have their book, and I have visited the website on a few occassions. Maybe this is an excuse to come over.
As regards to the group, some of us are not experienced enough to go straight in to a session, that is why I want to get it going in a studio with no distractions, so the more experienced can help the less experienced. Not only is this great for the least experienced, but hopefully the more experienced will feel more enhanced and self fulfilled for helping others.
Nigel's offer to help is immense and I have had support from Joel Mcdermott http://www.myspace.com/joelmcdermottmusic and Nigel Woodhouse http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =160699803
So I'll arrange something and come over to the Greenwich session.
Many thanks
Tosh
Tosh Marshall

Westbourne Studios

Postby Tosh Marshall » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:49 am

I have booked Westbourne Studios for 11.00 to 2.00 pm on Sunday 22nd March and Sunday 5th April. The members are pretty much beginners so the material will be basic and it will be easy going. It should appeal more to those just starting out or those who enjoy the social occassion of it all.
Westbourne Studios website: http://www.westbournerehearsals.com/contact.htm
It is awkward to find first time, as you come out of Royal Oak tube, turn right and then cross over the Harrow Road and turn left. You will see the Stowe Centre on your right as you walk up and at it’s end you turn right into Bourne Terrace. There is a row of shops on the left and the studios are behind them. You have to walk round the back. It is confusing as there is no signage on the front, but it is just a five minute walk from the tube.
Anyone welcome to join in, it's free.
All the best
Tosh
Tosh Marshall

We are up and running

Postby Tosh Marshall » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:17 pm

Well we have started and we have half a dozen members. It is great if you are a beginner and we welcome anybody. Our members are both male and female and all ages, so don't feel intimidated if you wish to come down. Our next session is on the 5th April 11.00 am til 2.00pm.
We murdered Amazing Grace, My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean, Loch Lomond, Jimmy Allen and Daisy Bell (riveting material I know but when you are starting out it needs to be fairly simple!). Anyway we had a laugh today and I look forward to the next one....
Many thanks
Tosh
Tosh Marshall

mando self help group in London

Postby iggy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:48 pm

Hi Tosh
I would very much like to attend your next session on 5th April.

I am an absolute beginner though , so perhaps I'll just watch for a while, if that is ok.

I'm attending the Easter Sore Fingers week , so I really do need some practise.

kind regards
iggy
iggy

Hi Iggy

Postby Tosh Marshall » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:25 pm

Hi Iggy
Feel free to come along. Don't worry too much because there are other absolute beginners there as well so don't feel too ill at ease. We go one step at a time and we help each other as much as we can. The studio is OK and there is free tea and coffee!
See you on the 5th
All the best
Tosh
Tosh Marshall

Next meeting

Postby Tosh Marshall » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:30 pm

Our next meeting will be on May 10th at Westbourne Studios. Suitable for beginners to intermediates, feel free to come along.
Really great today, many thanks.
Tosh Marshall

Paul Shippey Cherry Oval
Paul Shippey 10 String Mandolin
Weber Gallatin Mandocello
Eastman 815
Eastman 505
Tosh Marshall

session 5th April

Postby iggy » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:44 pm

Hi Tosh
Thank you very much for organising the session, it was a great help
and and I felt I picked up quite a lot even by just being there. And it was fun...
Everyone was so encouraging even with my really slow playing and I really felt that I'd made some real progress by the end of the session.

kind regards
iggy
iggy

Postby spillerpap » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:31 pm

I would also like to thank Tosh for organizing todays event, This is the second meeting I have been to, and I have found both very helpful. I am looking forward to the next one. Good fun on a Sunday morning.
spillerpap

.... but where is it?

Postby tomars » Thu May 07, 2009 12:13 pm

Hi,

I'd like to come to the next one of these if I can, so can anyone let me know whether its still on for Sunday, what time to turn up and how to find it (Westbourne Studios appears to be an office block or summat......). I'll try to be lower maintenance when I get there.

Thanks,

Tom
tomars

Hi Tom

Postby Tosh Marshall » Thu May 07, 2009 4:36 pm

Hi Tom,
We will be there on Sunday and it will be good to see you there, don't worry about the low maintenance because we are all low maintenance!
They are a good bunch of people who want to learn to play traditional stuff so we'll see you there at 11.00am.
It's not that hard to find, near Royal Oak tube on the Hammersmith & City line. Here are the directions:
Westbourne Studios website: http://www.westbournerehearsals.com/contact.htm
It is awkward to find first time, as you come out of Royal Oak tube, turn right and then cross over the Harrow Road and turn left. You will see the Stowe Centre on your right as you walk up and at it’s end you turn right into Bourne Terrace. There is a row of shops on the left and the studios are behind them. You have to walk round the back. It is confusing as there is no signage on the front, but it is just a five minute walk from the tube.
Tosh Marshall

Paul Shippey Cherry Oval
Paul Shippey 10 String Mandolin
Weber Gallatin Mandocello
Eastman 815
Eastman 505
Tosh Marshall

Next

Return to All mandolin subjects