Looking for something in the same vein...

Recommend a band or musician

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Looking for something in the same vein...

Postby Yeonathan » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:39 pm

I recently purchased both Mike Marshall/Chris Thile cds (the live and the studio) and loved every moment of both.

I am looking for other similar things - particularly someone that does something similar to the more unique sounding pieces like "hualalai" and "carpathian mountain breakdown".

Any suggestions? Doesn't need to be a mandolin duet, but that would be nice.
Yeonathan

Postby Dave Hanson » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:51 am

Try ' Tone Poems ' by David Grisman and Tony Rice, 16 tracks using 16 different mandolins and 16 different guitars, or even David Grismans ' Tone Poets ' same gutiar and mandolin played by many different players.

Dave H
Dave Hanson

Postby Ray(T) » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:00 pm

I assume from the tracks you mention you haven't heard Marshall/Thile's "Into the Cauldron" a mixture of self penned and cover material.

Dave mentioned the the Grisman/Rice Tone Poems - I'd also recommend the Martin Taylor/Grisman Tone Poems and, if you fancy a bigger sound, have a listen to Bella Fleck & the Flecktones. - If you can find their, DVD all the better. (The combination of electric banjo, bass, drums, syndrums, oboe, sax, bassoon, steel drums, tabla and mongolian throat singer is a joy to listen to ......but alas no mandolin.)
Ray(T)

Postby Yeonathan » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:51 pm

Ray(T) wrote:I assume from the tracks you mention you haven't heard Marshall/Thile's "Into the Cauldron" a mixture of self penned and cover material.

Dave mentioned the the Grisman/Rice Tone Poems - I'd also recommend the Martin Taylor/Grisman Tone Poems and, if you fancy a bigger sound, have a listen to Bella Fleck & the Flecktones. - If you can find their, DVD all the better. (The combination of electric banjo, bass, drums, syndrums, oboe, sax, bassoon, steel drums, tabla and mongolian throat singer is a joy to listen to ......but alas no mandolin.)

I do own it- great tunes. I just happened to like the live one a little more.

I know Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - and some of the older stuff does have mandolin, they even had mike marshall with 'em for a while.

Thanks to both of you...sounds like Tone Poems it is.
Yeonathan

Postby seedysea » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:23 pm

Both Great albums! Also check out Uncommon Ritual with Bela Fleck, Edgar Meyer and Mike Marshall. Thats is probably my favorite. You may also enjoy Charlie Chamberlain. Not much I can find released but a lot of music at www.charliechamberlain.com
seedysea:)
seedysea

Return to Mandolin Bands and Musicians