Dando Shaft

Recommend a band or musician

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Dando Shaft

Postby Tosh Marshall » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:50 pm

I have had the Dando Shaft anthology for a while now and I find it hard to believe that not much has been mentioned of Martin Jenkins before. It has brilliant mando on it by Jenkins who went on to play in Whippersnapper with Swarb and his Dando Shaft counterpart Kevin Dempsey. Wonderful stuff.
Tosh
Tosh Marshall

Re: Dando Shaft

Postby Uncle Choppy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:40 am

Tosh Marshall wrote:I have had the Dando Shaft anthology for a while now and I find it hard to believe that not much has been mentioned of Martin Jenkins before.

He's a fantastic player. However, I have Dando Shaft's "An Evening With" and was never able to get into it. It's a bit too "acid folk" for me although some of the instrumental stuff sounds great. I'm still tempted by the anthology (despite already owning 1 of the 3 CDs) as I've read reviews rating the 1st album and "Lantaloon" as better. Any thoughts Tosh?

I've never really heard his stuff from Bert Jansch's "Conundrum" era but understand he played more fiddle and flute than mandolin family stuff.

I love Martin's stuff with Whippersnapper and saw the reunited lineup this summer. He seemed a bit quiet but I read somewhere that he (like Swarb) has had some health problems lately. He was using the Rob Armstring Mandocello and a lovely blonde A-style mandolin (I think it was a David Oddy). Hopefully the fact that he's back performing the very demanding 'snapper stuff means that he's a lot better.
(Kev Dempsey played an absolute blinder - on a £200 Crafter guitar!)

Just in case you've not got it I'd really recommend Martin's "Nov Jhivot" CD.

Brendan
Uncle Choppy

An Evening With

Postby Tosh Marshall » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:23 pm

Hi Bernard,
An Evening with was the first album apparently and is the one I like the most. The other two 'Dando Shaft (2nd album)' and 'Lantaloon' are later and features Polly Bolton on vocals. For me the other two are more 'Acid Folk' but I understand what you are saying. I love it because of the varying types of influences: English, Irish, Eastern European etc.
I really want to hear the first Hedgehog Pie album, so I am thinking of getting that (only available on vinyl) as that is meant to be really good, the second Hedgehog Pie lp is 100 quid, so I don't think I'll bother with that one!
I haven't heard the later Jansch stuff so I can't comment but there is some nice Whippersnapper stuff in the Swarb box set.
I hope he is well and on the road to recovery and I will have to check that CD out as I don't have it. Funnily enough I bought the Plainsong CD because Jenkins was on it (but he appears only on one track!). Going to see Swarb and Carthy on the 30th in Clerkenwell so should be interesting.
All the best
Tosh
Tosh Marshall

Hedgehog Pie

Postby Tosh Marshall » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:08 pm

Brendan, Have you got the Hedgehog Pie albums? If not you can download them from here for free: (not available on CD and The Green Lady goes for £100 on vinyl!
http://time-has-told-me.blogspot.com/se ... dgehog+Pie
I have to say I much prefer Dando Shaft to Hedgehog Pie but interesting all the same.
Will get the Whippersnapper albums...
All the best
Tosh
Tosh Marshall

Return to Mandolin Bands and Musicians