Elbow Jane

Recommend a band or musician

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Elbow Jane

Postby Fliss » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Good to see Elbow Jane included as a "Featured Band" on the site. I had the pleasure of seeing them at the Wirral Folk on the Coast Festival in June this year, and they were fabulous. They also did a songwriting workshop which was really good. I currently have their album "3 Side Island" in the CD player in my car, and really love it.

For info, the title of their album "3 Side Island" refers to the Wirral peninsula, which is where they are based - after all when you think about it, that's what a peninsula is, it's an island on three sides but attached to the mainland on the fourth side :smile: So it feels really appropriate to listen to it when I drive along the M53 motorway.

I also saw Joe Topping at the Middlewich Folk Festival, where he was playing mando with the Rainbow Chasers, who were also really good.

Fliss
Fliss

Cheshire / Wales

Postby Tosh Marshall » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:15 pm

Fliss, I know the route from Warrington to Towyn like the back of my hand. Through Frodsham, Helsby, Little Weaver, Queensferry, Shotton, Sealand and Rhuddlan. The number of times we went down that road in the 60's. I suspect it has changed a lot since. I moved south in 1971. My family had a caravan in Towyn. Will keep my ear open for Elbow Jane....Sad to hear about the recent passing of Parry Gordon (Warrington RLFC) who was a hero when I was a kid.......
Tosh Marshall

Paul Shippey Cherry Oval
Paul Shippey 10 String Mandolin
Weber Gallatin Mandocello
Eastman 815
Eastman 505
Tosh Marshall

Postby Fliss » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:56 pm

Tosh, you must have driven very close to where I live now (although I wasn't living here at the time :grin: )

Elbow Jane are definitely well worth checking out. I found some video of them on YouTube. As well as mandolin, there's a nice Moon guitar-bodied bouzouki (bouzar?) on display:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49vOFu7rkKM

While we're on YouTube, here's a vid of Elbow Jane's Joe Topping playing what looks like a Fylde cittern, with my guitar teacher Phil Chisnall on mandolin, whcih you might also enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTnxZ_F0 ... re=related

Fliss
Fliss

Elbow Jane

Postby Tosh Marshall » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:51 pm

Great band Fliss, they certainly know how to have a good time and are great musicians. As do Rae, Topping & Chisnall, looks to me like a very lively music scene going on in the Wirral. It's nice to know that there are great bands all over the country playing away, we just never get to hear about them usually unless you know where to find them, thanks to sites like this one. Makes you want to go to a festival!
As for the Fyldes, I think they are good instruments, Travor Hacking plays a Fylde mandola at St Albans which is nice, but I can't wait for my Shippey 10 string which Paul is about to start on (check out the teasing sound sample on his site! )
I am being very patient, it'll have the black top finish. It'll certainly be interesting......
Tosh Marshall

Paul Shippey Cherry Oval
Eastman 815
Eastman 505
Tosh Marshall

Postby Fliss » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:54 pm

Glad you enjoyed that! Yes, we have some fabulous musicians locally. Here is a clip you might enjoy - this is Full House, the resident band at the local folk club in Chester, the Raven Folk Club. They're a lot of fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTz8GkhWrkc

I see a lot of Fyldes around this part of the country, and Full House's lead singer Nick often plays a Fylde octave mandolin. Their mandolin player Chris has a very impressive stable of mandolins, and in the video I linked to I think he's playing his Shippey :smile:

Your Shippey 10 string sounds very exciting. The soundclip is tantalising indeed, what a gorgeous tone. If yours is going to sound like that, then - wow! You must be very excited! You're not going to sell your Cherry Shippey, are you???

Fliss
Fliss

Full House / Shippey

Postby Tosh Marshall » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:17 pm

Another great band Fliss and the mando does look like my Cherry. It's wonderful to see your area well supported with great music and I can see why you love this band. As for my Cherry I would never part with the it. Paul Shippey is a great instrument maker and I love my Cherry to bits. I will just have to grind the teeth, be patient, and let Paul work his magic. I'll try and get Paul to send me some pics during the build and post them on the Cafe.....
Tosh Marshall

Paul Shippey Cherry Oval
Eastman 815
Eastman 505
Tosh Marshall

Re: Full House / Shippey

Postby Fliss » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:46 pm

There is, of course, a downside to having such great bands locally, which is that when I get up to sing at the local folk club, it's very intimidating singing in front of that audience!

Tosh Marshall wrote: ...As for my Cherry I would never part with the it. .....

Thought not!!! I'll look forward to seeing pics of your new baby on the Cafe.

Fliss
Fliss

Singing?

Postby Tosh Marshall » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:48 am

At least you can sing Fliss! I'd be embarrassed to sing in the shower!!!!!!
It takes courage to get up and sing and play at sessions so I applaud you for that ! I'm improving but some of the faster reels are still a bit off.....One day! Watch out Jedward!!!!!! Where's me hair gel? I bought some in '75!

Hopefully Paul will send me some pics and I'll definitely post them.
Tosh Marshall

Paul Shippey Cherry Oval
Eastman 815
Eastman 505
Tosh Marshall

3 Side Island

Postby Tosh Marshall » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:33 pm

I bought the CD off Amazon Fliss and it's great. I'm really pleased they do Walk Beside Me, the Tim O'Brien song, as it is one of my favourites...great stuff. PS Tim O'Brien is great live and if he ever get's to your neighbourhood go and see him.....
Tosh Marshall

Paul Shippey Cherry Oval
Eastman 815
Eastman 505
Tosh Marshall

Postby Fliss » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:57 am

It's a brilliant album, isn't it? and "Walk Beside Me" is a great track. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the album :grin: I will definitely watch out for Tim O'Brien.

Fliss
Fliss

Return to Mandolin Bands and Musicians