Recommended Mandolin Listens

Recommend a band or musician

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Recommended Mandolin Listens

Postby iolite » Mon May 08, 2006 11:32 am

Splendid mandolin sounds can be found on CD's by ...

HEM (Alt Country)
http://www.hemband.com/

Robinella (Alt Country / Swing & Blues)
http://www.robinella.com/

Hank Dogs (Alt Folk / Celtic)
http://www.rykodisc.com/Catalog/dump/rykoalbums_936.asp

Jazz Mandolin Project (original jazz / rock covers including Neil Young & Leonard Cohen songs)
http://www.jazzmandolinproject.com/
iolite

Postby Dave Hanson » Tue May 09, 2006 12:30 pm

Try anything by David Grisman, Mike Compton, Sam Bush, Ricky Skaggs, Tom Napper, Martin Matthews, Luke Plumb, Nigel Gatherer, Gary Peterson and our own David [ Dagger ] Gordon, to name a few.

Dave H
Dave Hanson

Featured album

Postby Barry » Mon May 15, 2006 11:59 am

This is a great idea maybe we could produce a list of recommended albums that everyone could add too.

Maybe do a featured album per week?

Any suggestions for the first one?

:roll:
Barry Gambles
www.Mandolin.org.uk
Barry
Site Admin

Good listening

Postby Dave Hanson » Mon May 15, 2006 2:08 pm

OK I'll kick of with ' Dave Apollon, The Man With The Mandolin '

A double CD from David Grismans record lable,Acoustic Disc.

Sometimes described as the best mandolin player ever, he was a truly amazing player and an amazing man, he was Russian by birth and came to America after the Ist world war, he served in the Russian army during the war and on being captured by some patriots he saved his company from being shot as spies by busking the local anthem on his mandolin.

He took up the mandolin after arguing and falling out with his violin teacher, his first mandolin , given to him by his father was cremated with him.

Dave H
Dave Hanson

Postby Barry » Tue May 16, 2006 8:03 am

That is great Dave.

You do know that this could cost me a fortune on new CD's didn't think this one out did I?

I've found the 'The Man With the Mandolin: the Complete Recordings 1930-1956 [Double CD]'
Dave Apollon on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000391P/mandoliorguk-21
Barry Gambles
www.Mandolin.org.uk
Barry
Site Admin

Postby Collins » Mon May 22, 2006 9:36 pm

OK, I'll throw out a couple for consideration. Both center around Andy Irvine whom I consider nearly a deity (and I really don't believe in deities). The first is "Rain on the Roof" and the other is "Mozaik: Live at the Powerhouse". His work in Planxty had the most impact on my setting down the guitar and picking up a member of the mandolin family (cittern). Every * thing he plays is great, IMO.
Collins

Postby Dave Hanson » Tue May 23, 2006 7:36 am

I very much agree about Andy Irvine, although he is not playing much mandolin these days apparently., I saw him play a solo gig in his pre-Planxty days, he played guitar and mandolin and sang, he is definately a wizard on the mandolin.

Dave H
Dave Hanson

Postby Barry » Tue May 23, 2006 7:47 am

Thanks great submissions.

Found some samples here:

"Mozaik: Live at the Powerhouse"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001MMGBS/mandoliorguk-21

"Andy Irvine: Rain on the Roof"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002LNNJM/mandoliorguk-21
Barry Gambles
www.Mandolin.org.uk
Barry
Site Admin

Shooglenifty - A Whisky Kiss

Postby Barry » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:48 am

Shooglenifty - A Whisky Kiss

Wild crossover music played on fiddle (Angus Grant), banjo (Garry Finlayson), mandolin (Iain MacLeod), guitar (Malcolm Crosbie), bass (Conrad Ivitsky) drums and percussion (James Mackintosh).

http://www.musicscotland.com/acatalog/MusicScotland_Shooglenifty___A_Whisky_Kiss_1426.html
Barry Gambles
www.Mandolin.org.uk
Barry
Site Admin

Album of the week

Postby Dave Hanson » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:47 am

Another CD from the Acoustic Disc label,

' Not For Kids Only ' an absolutely delightful album of mainly childrens songs performed by David Grisman on mandolins etc and the late Jerry Garcia on acoustic guitar, for those who have only heard Jerry singing and playing with the ' Grateful Dead ' this will be a revalation.

I think Jerry regarded the Grateful Dead as his day job, what he really loved was playing folk music and bluegrass, especially with his long time mate David Grisman

This CD is dedicated to Jacob Welker, whose father plays trumpet on track 8, Jacob died at five years old after battling leukemia for four years, proceeds from this CD are going to a charity in California, for children with catastrophic illnesses.

Sad part aside, this a wonderful album, mandolin on most tracks, notable exceptions being ' Teddy Bears Picnic ' where David plays tenor banjo, and who else could get Jerry Garcia AKA King of the Deadheads to sing Teddy Bears Picnic ?, and the last track, a beautiful arrangement of Brahms Cradle Song with David on mandocello and Jerry on guitar.

Jerry never considered himself a good acoustic guitarist, on this CD he is superb, sharing instrumental breaks with Davids mandolin.

The arrangements were kept deliberately simple but nevertheless are excellent, [ I wish I could play that simply ]

Highlights for me being the vocal duets between David and Jerry, ' Jenny Jenkins ' and the ' Arkansas Traveller ' and of course Brahms Cradle song, both mandocello and guitar sound wonderful.

The sleeve notes are liberally illustrated with cartoons and drawings by Jerry, who was also a fine artist.

It's now available on Amazon.

Dave
Dave Hanson

Postby kryceksleftarm » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:54 pm

My favourite mandolin albums are Not All Who Wander Are Lost by Chris Thile, Stealing Second also by Chris Thile, Up in the Woods by John Reischman, and Ride by Andy Leftwich.
kryceksleftarm

Postby keith » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:49 am

try Highland mandolin by Dagger Gordon
or Don Stienbergs Unseasonable cool
Keith
keith

best mandoiln listens

Postby diane » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:24 pm

Try Kevin Macleod..Springwell; Portbain to Oranmore; Dorney Rock..awesome..and lots of variety. The mandolin is joined by the bouzouki and some tracks dobro and other guitar.........Terrific sound of mainly celtic Scottish and Irish where he is joined by Alec Finn
diane

Postby Tosh Marshall » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:02 pm

UK:
Simon Mayor - Mandolinquents live, Sweeney's Men, Mozaik - Changing Trains, Dagger Gordon - Highland Mandolin, Patrick Street - On The Fly, Five Hand Reel - Five Hand Reel/Earl O'Moray, Jack The Lad - Old Straight Track, Dave Swarbrick - Rags, Reels & Airs, Alison Stephens - Calace, Frances Taylor - Italian Mandolin Concertos, Shooglenifty - Troots, The Chair - Huinka.

US:
Ricky Skaggs - Instrumentals, Mike Compton - Stomp, Cherryholmes (I & II), Infamous Stringdusters, Seldom Scene - Act One, Rowan/Rice Quartet feat. Sharon Gilchrist, Dave Grisman - Dawgs Groove, Grisman/Bush - Hold On We're Strummin, Don Stiernberg - On Time, Various - Bluegrass Mandolin Extravaganza, Tim O'Brien - Two Journeys

Other:
Greencards - Veridian (Aus/UK based in States), Dan Beimborn - Shatter the Calm (US living here), Never On Sunday OST (Amazing Bouzouki) and Zorba The Greek OST.
Tosh Marshall

mandolin listens

Postby diane » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:09 pm

The lovely Matt Norman from Devon, who runs workshops in that area.,has a CD of very thoughtful tunes..very worth listening to.EIGHT DAYS LATE (Wren music)
diane

Next

Return to Mandolin Bands and Musicians