Recommended Mandolin Listens

Recommend a band or musician

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Postby seedysea » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:26 pm

Check out Three Ring Circle. Also www.charliechamberlan.com
seedysea:)
seedysea

Postby Uncle Choppy » Fri May 23, 2008 7:11 pm

Just thought I'd list this one after mentioning it in another post: Natasha's Waltz by Norman & Nancy Blake.
An absolutely magical album! Unique, timeless music and incredibly difficult to categorise: somewhat "old timey" but with elements of jazz, folk, gyspy, bluegrass etc.

In addition to (the criminally underrated) Nancy and Norman Blake, the CD also features Peter Ostroushko and Carl Jones on mandolins.

It's probably my favourite CD since I bought it nearly 10 years ago. I'd also say that, as it features the Blakes and Ostroushko, it's probably one of the definitive "oval hole" recordings. (If TAMCO Trevor doesn't love it I'll eat my hat!)
Uncle Choppy

Postby GerryHastie » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:07 am

I know this thread last ran out in May last year but it's never too late for a revival of 'Best Mandolin' albums. Although I'm not new to the mandolin (I've been playing for 2 1/2 years) I am new to the forum. I see that there are always newcomers to the mandolin and I know that I would have liked a listening guide etc when I started. (Although finding stuff for yourself is great fun!)

I was amazed that Bill Monroe wasn't mentioned in any of the original posts amongst other bluegrass mandolininininiininsts! Perhaps he's too obvious or I know that some people don't rate him because he made a lot of bum notes at times. He did lose a lot when he was approaching his passing, and I'm sure that he can be forgiven for that. Sure others have taken on his influence and played faster, cleaner, with better tone and with more varied chord work but it all comes back to Bill for bluegrass mandolin.

Bill Monroe was a true innovator and expertly distilled other influences to create his music. You ask anyone one of the bluegrassers mentioned earlier in the list, who's your biggest influence on the mandolin? I guarantee that Skaggs, Compton, Grisman, Bush, McCoury, Wakefield, Osborne, Duffey, Reischman etc will all say Bill Monroe with the veneration only reserved for true greatness.

There is no space for a biog of the man here except to say that he was talented, driven, taciturn, ground-breaking, difficult, loyal, original and the master of bluegrass mandolin.

For what to listen to? There are innumerable recordings and releases of Bill Monroe's work out there. Too many to quote but there are numerous multi CD collections to buy. For his mandolin work; he wrote and/or recorded some tunes/songs that every aspiring bluegrass mandolin player will want to learn:
Rawhide
Bluegrass Breakdown
Bluegrass Stomp
Big Mon
Old Dangerfield
Old Ebeneezer
Kentucky Waltz
Dusty Miller
I'm Blue, I'm Lonesome
Memories of Mother and Dad
Tennesee Blues
Kentucky Mandolin

.....the list is nearly endless, I could go on for hours but (thankfully won't).

Check back to the list soon, I may post further on reccommended tunes/listening for other bluegrass mandolinists

Off to work now! Best wishes.

Gerry
GerryHastie
GerryHastie

Latest listenings

Postby Tosh Marshall » Thu May 07, 2009 5:00 pm

Luke Plumb - A Splendid Notion
Perambulando - Daniel Brito
Alba - Alba
Johnny Young - Complete Blue Horizon Sessions
Awaiting the arrival of Rodrigo Lesse, U Shrivinas & Yank Rachell.
And for when the playing isn't going so well: Stanley Unwin - Rotatey Diskers with Unwin!
Tosh Marshall

Paul Shippey Cherry Oval
Paul Shippey 10 String Mandolin
Weber Gallatin Mandocello
Eastman 815
Eastman 505
Tosh Marshall

Postby Jonathan » Thu May 07, 2009 5:10 pm

One I forgot to mention was Mando Lore by Brian Taheny & Andrew Collins. A transatlantic feel as it's a mixture of Celtic and American tunes.
Jonathan

Brian Taheny & Andrew Collins

Postby Tosh Marshall » Tue May 19, 2009 8:07 pm

Thanks for listing that one Jonathon, had no other option but to download it from CD Baby but it was worth it. As I am mullering Banish Misfortune for my sins, it was great to have a really nice version of it. Wonderful.
A beautiful album.
Many thanks
Tosh Marshall

Paul Shippey Cherry Oval
Eastman 815
Eastman 505
Tosh Marshall

Postby Dave Hanson » Wed May 20, 2009 6:07 am

I fully agree with you Gerry about Bill Monroe, I have both Homespun DVDs of ' The Mandolin of Bill Monroe ' the first one featuring Bill and the late John Hartford is totally brilliant, recoded when Bill was getting well on in years, his playing was still amazing, the second DVD featrures Sam Bush teaching Bill's techniques, he too is an amazing player but he doesn't capture the character of Bill's playing by a long way, he is very fast and very flash but somehow lacks the depth and feeling that Bill put into his playing.

Dave H
Dave Hanson

Rocky!

Postby Tosh Marshall » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:34 pm

I've gone all rocky lately, been listening to Seals & Crofts, Loggins & Messina, Ry Cooder.......wonderful!
Tosh Marshall

Paul Shippey Cherry Oval
Eastman 815
Eastman 505
Tosh Marshall

Recommended

Postby Tosh Marshall » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:07 pm

Kevin MacLeod's latest CD "Braes Of Badentarbat" is a unique recording and is very much a social document of his area in the Highlands in collaboration with the accordionist Ali 'Beag' MacLeod. Contains Gaelic poetry and features Luke Plumb from Shooglenifty and Freeland Barbour from the Occassionals and John MacLean of the Aliens and Beta Band.

Three Mile Stone is great Irish music from the San Franciscan trio of Marla Fibish, Erin Shrader & Richard Mandel. Wonderful playing and produced by John Doyle, once of Solas.
Tosh Marshall

Paul Shippey Cherry Oval
Eastman 815
Eastman 505
Tosh Marshall

Postby DaveL35 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:49 pm

Mandolin albums in Irish music are something of a rarity. I was recommended to try the recent offering from Fiontán Ó Meachair and was very impressed.

Details here:
http://www.myspace.com/fiontanomeachairmandoline
- Dave
Paul Shippey 'Tone' (2016); Weber Gallatin A (2013); Andy Tobin (2006);
Stefan Sobell (late '70s); Gibson A2 (1919);
Bouzouki by Paul Hathway (1996); some guitars
DaveL35

Previous

Return to Mandolin Bands and Musicians