My Beautiful Mandolin Friend

Recommend a band or musician

Moderator: Dave Hanson

My Beautiful Mandolin Friend

Postby andabouk » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:36 pm

I recently downloaded Nigel Gatherer's 'Tune of the Week' booklets and was particularly struck with his tune 'My Beautiful Mandolin Friend' (Book 1 No. 11) which he wrote in honour of Alison Stephens.

I found it to be a gentle, mournful tune and decided to arrange it.

My arrangement is for Mandolin, Oboe, Violin, Cello, Guitar and Bass. I have kept it quite simple, sticking faithfully to Nigel's melody and harmony, as any complication would, I feel, detract from the simple beauty of the piece.

For those who are interested, the mandolin is a Paul Shippey electric; the guitar is a Tanglewood SJ-5 electro acoustic; the Bass was played using a Roland synth unit with a Godin LGXT midi-controller guitar and the oboe, violin and cello parts were produced using a Yamaha Tyros 2 keyboard.

The arrangement is available here with Nigel's permission. I hope you enjoy it.

http://soundcloud.com/andabouk/my-beaut ... lin-friend
andabouk

Postby John Kelly » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:07 pm

Tried to access your tune from Nigel's site but the link is not working, though it opens fine from here. I too have posted a version and it is over on YouTube. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88ikJ5CnUyY
Lovely arrangement you have produced and the instruments are well chosen.
JK Mandolins - handcrafted in Argyll, Scotland
John Kelly

MBMF

Postby andabouk » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:36 pm

@John Kelly

Thanks John, I listened to your Youtube arrangement - totally different from mine, but equally demonstrating the beauty of the tune. Being new to mandolin playing, I did not know Alison, but I have seen her playing on one or two Youtube videos - she was certainly a very talented lady.
andabouk

Return to Mandolin Bands and Musicians