H.M. McIntyre pickups

Strings, picks, tuners, amps, cases, tailpieces, mics, etc plus related discussion.

Moderator: Dave Hanson

H.M. McIntyre pickups

Postby larrya » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:19 am

Just to let you all know that US manuafacturer McIntyre with their 'Feather' Mandolin pickup are now available in the UK from www.trueacoustic.co.uk so no customs, VAT or duty hassles.
larrya

Re: H.M. McIntyre pickups

Postby Dave Hanson » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:50 pm

Thanks for posting that larrya.

Dave Hanson
Dave Hanson

Postby Ray(T) » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:35 am

Expect to have to use a pre-amp with one. They recommend (or used to) the Baggs Para DI.
Ray(T)

Postby Ray(T) » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:25 am

Strange how many people post once, go away and never come back!

As far as "Trueacoustic" is concerned, I make a point of never buying from a website that fails to specify where they are physically based; as is the case here. I suspect that they may be based in larrya's garage or spare room but, before you consider ordering from them, aske what you would do if something went wrong with your order?

Apart from that, I suspect that such websites; without physical contact details, may actually be unlawful.
Ray(T)

Postby Dave Hanson » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:11 am

I've just looked at the price of the mandolin ' Feather ' pickup £67.00 add a pre-amp and it runs out quite expensive, I use a Microvox close mic system, the swan neck microphone cost less than £40.00 and with the Microvox mini pre-amp the whole lot was less than £100, the Microvox mic gives a superb natural mandolin sound.

Dave H
Dave Hanson

Postby Ray(T) » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:25 pm

Not sure what the problem might be getting hold of the "Feather" pickups. Trevor at TAMCO fitted one to my Holoubek when I bought it from him way back in 2002 and its output without a preamp is pitifully low; although plug it into a radio mic system and it works fine.

Glad you've had success with the Micro Mics, Dave. My only experience of them is on accordian and I can say that I was less than impressed. The best "attached" mic syetem for mandolin I've found is the DPA violin system but they ain't cheap - I think the just clip to allow them to be used on guitar is over £50.

If anyone is looking at contact pickups for mandolins, look at K&K - I have one of their twins on my GBOM and it definitely doesn't need a pre-amp.
Ray(T)

Return to Equipment