Bouzouki/Cittern

Strings, picks, tuners, amps, cases, tailpieces, mics, etc plus related discussion.

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Bouzouki/Cittern

Postby Quavers » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:04 pm

Anyone any experience of Bouzouki's or Citterns? Who the good makers are? etc.
Quavers

Postby Dave Hanson » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:37 am

It depends on your price range, but in the UK I can recommend any good builder, Stefan Sobell, Paul Shippey, Fylde, Thomas Buchanan, Paul Hathaway and so on.
Check out our builders list.

Dave H
Dave Hanson

Postby Quavers » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:47 am

Thanks Dave.

I've looked at the websites and sent a couple of enquiry emails out. May need to do some trekking around to see if I can try some of these out before buying.
Quavers

Postby trevor » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:01 pm

Quavers,
I keep Moon and usually some used Fylde in stock if you can get to Brighton.
Trevor
The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) 01273 671841
www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk
Over 100 mandolins in stock.
trevor

Postby Quavers » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:16 pm

Thanks Trevor,

Sorry for the delayed reply...life has turned manic for the last few weeks!!

I have had a look at your website at the ones you mention so that's given me some food for thought. What difference does the maple back and sides on the moon as opposed to the Rosewood on a Fylde make? I'm looking for a deeper sound.

I also like the look of your Weber Gallatin mandocello, although I don't quite have the money at the moment.
Quavers

Postby trevor » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:21 pm

Quavers,
If you re referring to the Fylde archtops they have a tad more resonance and sustain but are MUCH more expensive (and don't come with the gigbag).
Trevor
The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) 01273 671841
www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk
Over 100 mandolins in stock.
trevor

Postby PseudoCelt » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:25 pm

I own a Fylde cedar/sapele long scale archtop bouzouki, which I love. Although it's not quite as loud as a spruce top, it has great tone and sustain and always gets appreciative comments.
I keep it in a soft guitar bag, and after trapping it in swing doors, tripping over it in darkened rooms/corridors, hitting it on bollards, catching the neck on branches and low doorways and getting it soaked by torrential rain, I can vouch for the solidity of its construction. It even survived a direct hit in the middle of the top from my friend's guitar, with only minor distressing!

I have played instruments from the more common UK makers (Buchanan, Moon, Freshwater, Hathaway). IMHO, the shallower-bodied flat-top bouzoukis generally sound a bit more treble-orientated and are perhaps a little more percussive.
Fylde archtops have a large, deep body, which gives them a deeper tone. A guitar-style pin bridge (Buchanan, Fylde Octavius) will give more sustain, but may also sound more guitar-like.

If your budget doesn't stretch to a UK-made instruments, some of the Trinity College bouzoukis/OMs sound surprisingly good.

The best advice, as always, is probably to try to play a few and see what you like.

Hope I haven't confused you too much!

Patrick
PseudoCelt

Postby DaveL35 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:28 pm

Andy Tobin made a very nice mandolin for me earlier this year. I tried one of his bouzoukis while I was at his workshop and was very impressed.
http://www.tobininstruments.co.uk/
- Dave
Paul Shippey 'Tone' (2016); Weber Gallatin A (2013); Andy Tobin (2006);
Stefan Sobell (late '70s); Gibson A2 (1919);
Bouzouki by Paul Hathway (1996); some guitars
DaveL35

Postby nkforster » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:14 am

Since no one has mentioned me in this thread, I thought I'd best do it myself.

Nigel

http://www.nkforsterguitars.com/bouzouki
nkforster

Return to Equipment