F-2 case smells moldy - FIX?

Strings, picks, tuners, amps, cases, tailpieces, mics, etc plus related discussion.

Moderator: Dave Hanson

F-2 case smells moldy - FIX?

Postby bdeivert » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:07 pm

Hi
just got a circa 1920 Gibson F-2 sent over to me and the case smells very moldy... I have a similar problem with an old Gibson 30's L-4 guitar. Is there any way to get rid of the smell without doing something that may damage the lacquer later on if the instrument is in the case?

I have laid one of the cases in the sun for a few days and aired it out, to no avail...

any suggestions... otherwise it will be new cases all around!

Can anybody recommend an inexpensive but good case to use for F models as a carry-on? I was looking for an Eastman fibreglass case here in Sweden, but there were none around, and Dutch store said they wouldn't have them for months.

cheers
BERT
bdeivert

Postby bluemando » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:11 pm

Hi
There are usually a few cases for sale on Ebay.

Try a pouch of lavendar in the case.

skol
Duncan
bluemando
bluemando

Postby PseudoCelt » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:42 pm

I've heard that an F2 will not fit the into shaped Eastman fibreglass case because of the short neck. I think they do fit into the Eastman rectangular case. If you search the Mandolin Cafe archives for "case AND f2" (or f4), you should find some useful info.

I know someone who has a nice TKL F-shaped case that looks fairly sturdy and was inexpensive. His mandolin has a short neck, so an F2 should fit fine. My F2 lives in a Pegasus, which is really nice, but rather expensive and heavy. I also have a Calton which is still heavy, but condierably cheaper than a Pegasus.

I've heard that antibacterial Febreze spray or baking soda might get rid of the smell in the case, though I have no personal experience of either. Once again, there are some suggestions to be found in the Mandolin Cafe archives.

Patrick
PseudoCelt

Postby bdeivert » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:32 pm

Thanks for the tips! My mandolin smells musty too, but I am keeping it out of the case! Hope it will take on the smell of Swedish winter indoors now!
cheers
BERT
bdeivert

Postby david blair » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:39 am

Ammonia? If an open container is left inside for a time it will kill mold. Heat after, hair drier? Then a warm sunny window for a week. Worth a try...
david blair

Postby bdeivert » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:34 am

thanks
will try some of the tips...

cheers
BERT
bdeivert

Postby david blair » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:03 am

Be careful not to get any ammonia on the varnish! I was also thinking that salt and baking soda rubbed in wet and vacuumed later would work too.

If none of these ideas work you can just send your antique Gibson to me! Please?

David
david blair

how things have developed with the cases

Postby bdeivert » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:28 am

Just to let you know that lavender in the case works quite well but the mandolin later has a bit of a girlish smell, like an underwear drawer, but it fades! Smells better anyway. Working on some other things...

Tried vinegar, Swwedish household remedy, in a bowl for weeks inside case, that didn't seem to have an effect.

I did finally find an Eastman case from the distributor in Germany, at a great price, I think it was 90 Euros including shipping. Yellow-orange, and the F-2 just manages to fit in despite the shorter neck. Ther eis no storage space inside, thought, on the downside. Perfect for airtravel. smart looking and small.

Cheers
BERT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"I've had the blues so long they done turned into the blacks." - Yank Rachell
Instruments for sale: http://www.deivert.com/blues/For_Sale.html
bdeivert

Postby buze » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:02 pm

As a user/collector of old photographic equipment, I see quite a lot of smelly cases!

The best way to "cure" the smell is to get a bunch of Silica Gel bags (get a job lot on Ebay, pick the "color change" ones, they can be "reset" in a hot oven), dump them in the case, lock it shut. /if/ you can, also try to put the case into a plastic bag, remove any extra air and also tape the bag shut.

leave it like that for a few weeks. Repeat as necessary, with fresh silica bags.

It's an almost magic cure...

PS: Oops, sorry for the thread revival from 2008 (!)
Yet Another Beginner
buze

Postby bdeivert » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:44 pm

Thanks for the tip! Will try it out.

Cheers
Bert
-----------------------------------------------------------
"I've had the blues so long they done turned into the blacks." - Yank Rachell
Instruments for sale: http://www.deivert.com/blues/For_Sale.html
bdeivert

Return to Equipment