Loops breaking on new loop end strings

Strings, picks, tuners, amps, cases, tailpieces, mics, etc plus related discussion.

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Postby Ray(T) » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:47 pm

Surprised to hear that, Dave. I've used d'Addario strings almost exclusively for the last 35 years and don't remember having a problem with any of them.
Ray(T)

Grrrrrr!

Postby Mark B » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:16 am

new set of J67s arrived this morning - this time it didn't even take a week, in fact I hadn't even got it into tune before the the loop started slipping! Rand D'Addario they said as I bought them through Amazon I had to take it up with them!
Mark B

Postby DaveL35 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:35 am

Some time back I suddenly started getting this problem with Newtone E strings (ball end, not loop end, but the problem was the same, the loop holding the ball was unravelling). I contacted Newtone and Malcolm said the answer was to have the strings 'locked off' when they are made. This seems to mean adding a few extra turns of closer tighter twist after the normal twists which fasten the loop.
He sent me a batch of locked off strings; this has decreased the failure rate a lot, though it's not completely eliminated.
I don't know whether D'Addario strings are locked off in this way or not.
- Dave
Paul Shippey 'Tone' (2016); Weber Gallatin A (2013); Andy Tobin (2006);
Stefan Sobell (late '70s); Gibson A2 (1919);
Bouzouki by Paul Hathway (1996); some guitars
DaveL35

Postby Ray(T) » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:38 am

Strictly speaking, in the UK, Amazon are liable for faulty goods but they're no expert on mandolin strings and you'd have difficulty persuading them that they are faulty and its not your fault.

You could post d'addario's reply on Mandolin Cafe and send them a link to your post inviting them to comment.
Ray(T)

Postby Mark B » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:59 am

DaveL35 wrote:Some time back I suddenly started getting this problem with Newtone E strings (ball end, not loop end, but the problem was the same, the loop holding the ball was unravelling). I contacted Newtone and Malcolm said the answer was to have the strings 'locked off' when they are made. This seems to mean adding a few extra turns of closer tighter twist after the normal twists which fasten the loop.
He sent me a batch of locked off strings; this has decreased the failure rate a lot, though it's not completely eliminated.
I don't know whether D'Addario strings are locked off in this way or not.

They do look to be - I guess I just had two sets from a bad batch - but as Nickle wounds seem to be the proverbial Rocking horse deposit (none of the music shops in the area have an in stock), I'm giving the Fender set a try. :(
Mark B

Postby Ray(T) » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:07 pm

If you're having difficulty finding nickel wound strings - and, personally, I've never tried a set - have you thought of importing them yourself?

I buy mine from Elderley Instruments and, amongst others, they have these http://elderly.com/accessories/items/J67.htm

Complicated and expensive I hear you say? No! You can order them on line and they'll charge you $10 postage. Keep the whole lot below £18 and you won't have the taxman chasing you for duty or VAT.

If you order 3 sets, they'll cost you less than £5 a set which is cheaper than you'll find them anywhere in the UK. The only down-side is that they tend to take a month or so to arrive so you need to plan ahead.
Ray(T)

Postby Mark B » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:53 pm

Thanks Ray - great idea - especially going through them at the rate I seem to be! :? :lol:
Mark B

Postby DaveL35 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:00 pm

Newtone make both phosphor bronze and nickel wound strings, Mark.
- Dave
Paul Shippey 'Tone' (2016); Weber Gallatin A (2013); Andy Tobin (2006);
Stefan Sobell (late '70s); Gibson A2 (1919);
Bouzouki by Paul Hathway (1996); some guitars
DaveL35

Postby Mark B » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:29 pm

thanks Dave, I've noticed d'Addario make a set of J74 (JS74) steel wound might give them a try when they are available - as it is after buying a set of Loop end Fender strings which turned out to be Ball end when they arrived I am being sent a replacement set of J67's from a different supplier so at least I should be able to tell if the previous set were from a bad batch! Oh well, onto the 4th set in less than 2 weeks!
Mark B

Postby Mark B » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:03 pm

d'Addario HQ sent me the following after sending them photos

o.k. nothing funky going on there
I will send the uk rep the info and have that set replaced
then you have extras

in the meantime I've put a piece of leather underneath the strings just in case!
Mark B

Postby Mark B » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:01 am

Set 4 - one unwound, one snapped! To be honest I'm reaching the end of my tether here!
Mark B

Last resort

Postby Mark B » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:19 am

So, I now have G, D, A from the J67s and Es from a pack of Martin Phos Bronze - which seem to be holding! I think I may invest a £10 in a new tailpiece with lugs rather than posts!
Mark B

Previous

Return to Equipment