Question for Sobell Players!

Strings, picks, tuners, amps, cases, tailpieces, mics, etc plus related discussion.

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Question for Sobell Players!

Postby Ptarmigan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:27 am

OK I bet you saw this coming! :razz:

Having just bought that Sobell Mandolin yesterday, I'm wondering now, what STRINGS those who have owned & played Sobell Mandolins for many years, would recommend?

This one will be used mostly for playing in my local Sessions, which aren't particularly noisy .. usually.

Cheers
D-i-c-k
Ptarmigan

Postby DaveL35 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:36 pm

I use Newtones on all my acoustic instruments. 10-37 Phosphor bronze on my mandolins, including the Sobell. 10s are a bit light for some people, I know.
I expect your maple Sobell will be a better session mandolin than my rosewood with cedar top one.
- Dave
Paul Shippey 'Tone' (2016); Weber Gallatin A (2013); Andy Tobin (2006);
Stefan Sobell (late '70s); Gibson A2 (1919);
Bouzouki by Paul Hathway (1996); some guitars
DaveL35

Postby Ptarmigan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:01 pm

Dave, I'm not sure about the wood.

The advert said:

THE TOP AND BACK ARE HANDCARVED
AND THE MAPLE BACK IS LOVELY.
THE BINDINGS LOOK LIKE ROSEWOOD AND HERRINGBONE TRIM,
HEADPLATE OVERLAY IS BRAZILIAN ROSEWOOD

So it clearly says the Back is Maple, but I don't believe it actually says what the top is, so is it possible that it might have a Cedar top too?

Cheers
Dick
Ptarmigan

Postby DaveL35 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:18 pm

The top could be spruce or cedar. If you can't tell when you actually get your hands on it, then you could ask Stefan (if you feel you need to know). I'm sure he would be able to tell from the pics. I've found him to be very approachable and helpful.
- Dave
DaveL35

Postby lawrence » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:11 pm

if you don't mind me asking Dave, i notice you have a Tobin, i own one myself, was wondering how it compared to the Sobell ?
lawrence

Postby DaveL35 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:31 am

@Lawrence:
When Andy T made the mandolin, I told him I wanted him to maximise the upper and mid frequencies and the overall volume. The idea was to get a sound that will cut through in a session, since I play trad Irish music. He achieved that to a pretty good degree (though you're going to struggle for volume with *any* mandolin once you are up against a bunch of fiddles and an accordian or two). The Sobell has a lovely tone, but doesn't really cut through other instruments that well - though a spruce top would be better than the cedar of mine in this respect.

The Tobin is my usual mandolin for sessions, and goes with me on my trips to Ireland. I won't namedrop, but a well-known bouzouki player in Ennis, Co. Clare, said of the Tobin "That's the best mandolin I've heard for Irish music, and I've heard a lot." It possibly wouldn't appeal much to players of other types of music, as the tone is not as balanced as some mandos, but that's down to what I asked for.

I've recently had it refretted (with stainless steel wire for longer wear, since it gets played quite hard sometimes) - the stainless might possibly have hurt the tone a litttle, I'm not sure.
- Dave
DaveL35

Return to Equipment