Phenix mandolin

Strings, picks, tuners, amps, cases, tailpieces, mics, etc plus related discussion.

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Phenix mandolin

Postby lordphi » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:10 pm

Has anyone heard of Phenix electro-acoustic mandolins (yes - spelt like that)?
I have just aquired one. I believe the model is ME140. It has an A style body and has a curved front and back (not flat). It is a plain machine with simple round fret dots and appears to have some age.
The manufacturers lable inside the body states "Phenix instrument manufacturing Co Ltd"'
For an unsophisticated look, the action is delightfully low with correct intonation. It sounds rather good.
Have I got something that is rare that might have an interesting story or just some cheap thing that I just happen to like?
lordphi

Postby Ray(T) » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:44 pm

Never heard of them but there's one for sale here - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0557976611 If it was a Phoenix, that would be a different matter.

Logically, it can't have that much age if its an electro-acoustic.
Ray
Ray(T)

Postby lordphi » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:07 am

Thanks for that Ray. I only paid a fraction of the "buy it now price" of $560 asked for the e-bay item. That is one reason for my asking the question.

Phil
lordphi

Postby Soundfarmer Pete » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:40 pm

Don`t know about the spelling but I`ve worked on a Fenix guitar before....Korean Strat style and it was lovely!
East Midlands based maker of handcrafted electric mandolins and purpose built magnetic pickups.
Soundfarmer Pete

Re: Phenix mandolin

Postby martin230 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:54 pm

I'm not sure if this thread is still going but I have one of these Phenix mandolins which I received as a gift in 1986. Phil - did you ever find out anything about yours? Any idea how much it may be worth? I'm having some problems with mine - I can't get the 12th fret harmonic and 12th fret note to produce the same note - I'm thinking it may need a new bridge. I have a photo of it on my desktop PC but I don't think I can upload to this forum. It has the same model number as the mandolin originally mentioned in this thread (FME 140).
martin230

Return to Equipment