Tailpiece

Strings, picks, tuners, amps, cases, tailpieces, mics, etc plus related discussion.

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Tailpiece

Postby semiscot » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:08 pm

Hi. I have recently acquired a Stagg mandolin from someone who was about to dump it. Anyway, I am now keen to learn to play it and need all the help I can get. My query is, I have been informed that there should be a piece of felt between the metal tailpiece and the strings. Is this true and if so where can I get it from? Cheers!
semiscot

Tailpiece

Postby Tosh Marshall » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:50 am

I think you would only use felt in an extreme case of rattling. Generally with the lower price scale mandolins, some tailpieces have a cover that can rattle but in my opionion, it is best removed. Most modern tailpiece designs eliminate this. I'm not so sure about felt but some players do use gromitts between the strings between the tailpiece and bridge to prevent unwarranted overtones....... A good set up from a local luthier would sort out most issues........
Tosh Marshall

Paul Shippey Cherry Oval
Paul Shippey 10 String Mandolin
Weber Gallatin Mandocello
Eastman 815
Eastman 505
Tosh Marshall

Tailpiece deadening

Postby John Kelly » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:23 am

As Tosh says, the felt is put in to absorb possible rattles where the strings cross the front edge of the tailpiece.

If you cannot find a suitable piece, I have used small strips cut from one of those perforated rubber mats sold in Pound shops and other outlets as non-slip tabletop covers, router mats, or whatever. I have one or two in my workshop all the time and use them on the bench when working on instruments; they are cheap enough to be easily disposable and when sanding or working on finishes the perforations allow dust and debris to go through rather than sit on top of the mat where they could cause scratches.
JK Mandolins - handcrafted in Argyll, Scotland
John Kelly

Postby semiscot » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:43 pm

Thanks guys. Appreciate the help. As I say, I am a complete beginner and need all the help I can get.
semiscot

Postby Ray(T) » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:50 am

Grommets - get them from Maplins or another similar electrical supplier. They look good but have a habit of flying off into the audience if you break a string. Felt - there's nothing special about it - buy an old felt hat from a charity shop and you'll have enough to last us all a lifetime.

There are those (especially those on t'other side of the Atlantic) who tell you to use a leather boot-lace woven through the strings. Some of them also keep a rattlesnake rattle inside their instrument but I've never really understood why - and no; I don't know where you can buy one!
Ray
Ray(T)

Postby semiscot » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:22 pm

OK Ray thanks
semiscot

Return to Equipment