Gig bags

Strings, picks, tuners, amps, cases, tailpieces, mics, etc plus related discussion.

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Gig bags

Postby cathycox » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:45 am

Having just bought an A style mandolin gig bag which I am sending back to the supplier as it is far flimsier than it appeared from the description, I am wondering whether anyone can recommend a good gig bag which can be carried like a rucksack and which will afford good protection to my mandolin. The websites advertising mandolin cases seem a bit short on good photographs of the bags and I'm now pretty wary of the descriptions! Personal recommendations seem the way to go.
Thanks
Cathy
cathycox

Postby John Kelly » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:49 pm

Cathy,
I can recommend the Tribal Planet series of bags. I have one for my mandolin and another for a tenor banjo. They are well made, with lots of padding and shoulder straps as well as carry handles. The mandolin one has two big pockets on the front while my banjo case has no external accommodation; the banjo bag I got recently as a discontinued model and it cost around £30 and I feel it is great value. Just google Tribal Planet to see the range.
JK Mandolins - handcrafted in Argyll, Scotland
John Kelly

Postby cathycox » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:03 pm

Thanks John - I will have a look at what Tribal Planet have available.
Cathy
cathycox

Postby Ray(T) » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:24 pm

It depends how much you value your mandolin, Cathy. Personally I wouldn't put any of my instruments in a gig bag but you don't want to be spending more on a case than than you paid for the mandolin.

Have you thought of of of these - http://www.amazon.com/Travelite-Case-F- ... B000UGBIFU ?

They come with rings for rucksack straps and I ran into a famous mandolin player using one as hand luggage with a very expensive instrument in it earlier this year.

Not sure where you'd get one in the UK but a friend bought something similar from the Music Room in Cleckheaton a couple of years ago. Eagle Music has these - http://www.eaglemusicshop.com/details1. ... n-Case.htm - and TKL is a reputable/well known make of cases.
Ray(T)

Postby cathycox » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:21 pm

Some interesting things to look at there, Ray. Many thanks. I do value my mandolin greatly - I have just bought it and it will be my *last* mandolin! It came with a very good rigid foam case which is virtually bombproof and excellent for travelling but it's the size of a suitcase and just too big for taking along to band practice nights which is why I need something smaller for the occasions when I am travelling with the mandolin but keeping it close to me.
cathycox

Postby Beanzy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:10 pm

Shoulder strap rather than twin straps like a rucksack but it's a decent price and light enough (by comparison with the blow-moulded plastic ones)

http://www.hobgoblin.com/local/bigpic.php?ID=GR3179W
Beanzy

Postby cathycox » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:13 pm

Thanks Beanzy - will give that some thought. I may have to see if I can get to see any bags/cases anywhere. It's a bit of a desert for that sort of thing round here.
cathycox

Postby Ray(T) » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:17 pm

Where abouts is "round here", Cathy. We may be able to suggest somewhere.
Ray(T)

Postby bevb » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:08 pm

Try here- http://the-music-room.com/
I got my Tribal Planet bag online from them, very helpful people too.
Mandolin rocks !
bevb

Postby Calv » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:04 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for this info, i've just joined and am in the same predicament myself. I like to use A4 folders for chords and lyrics to, so a decent size case or pocket is a must.

Don't forget if you are the slightest bit handy with a needle and thread you can adapt gig bags to your liking. I bought some strong black webbing, a pack of "rucksack repair buckles" and adapted my guitar backpack to take a ukulele gig bag on the back "piggyback style".

Just make sure you use extra strong button thread, or even better, use Kevlar thread like i did. I know some of you will cringe at the thought of carrying one instrument on the back of another, but they aren't expensive instruments and it means i am hands free.

Calv.
Calv

Gig bags

Postby Tosh Marshall » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:27 pm

Just a word about the Tribal Planet bags, I got one for my Shippey as the Calton is a bit of a beast and I have a problem when I'm cycling. The bag is fine and I've no complaints with it, but the rucksack type straps keep the headstock upright and when on a bike, it obstructs my cycling helmet and I have trouble seeing where I'm going! There are no rings to attach a normal shoulder strap which would angle the neck and headstock away and solve the problem. Just a small niggle if you are cycling.........
Tosh Marshall

Paul Shippey Cherry Oval
Paul Shippey 10 String Mandolin
Weber Gallatin Mandocello
Eastman 815
Eastman 505
Tosh Marshall

Return to Equipment