Luigi Poppi Mandolin

Strings, picks, tuners, amps, cases, tailpieces, mics, etc plus related discussion.

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Luigi Poppi Mandolin

Postby raincat » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:24 pm

I've seen a Luigi Poppi Neopolitan mandolin for sale for £175 (it dates from 1900). Not sure if it is a bargain. The action is quite high - is this normal for a Neopolitan mandolin? Sound is nice though. Body is in okay/ good condition. Any advice given on these mandolins would be appreciated as I know nothing about them.
raincat

Postby Ray(T) » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:06 pm

I probably know no more about them than you do but a high action (depending, of course, on what you mean by "high") isn't necessarily normal for any mandolin.

The problem for a 100year old bowl-back will be that the action can't be easily adjusted - as you can with a modern instrument with an adjustable bridge - and the problem, I suspect, is likely to be caused by the neck pulling forward over time and needing to be re-set.

As I say, I know not a lot about bowl-backs but I suspect that, if a re-set is necessary its not going to be easy and, consequently, not going to be cheap.

If you're set on this particular instrument, you need to work out whether (i) the neck is straight and stable and (ii) whether the bridge that's installed has sufficient depth to allow it to be reduced in height to provide an action which isn't too high. The last thing you want is a wafer thin bridge!
Ray(T)

Postby raincat » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:49 pm

Many thanks for your response, it is most appreciated. I think that I will try to get the price down and use it occassionally. thanks again.
raincat

Return to Equipment