Mandolin/Guitar & Stands/Hangers

Strings, picks, tuners, amps, cases, tailpieces, mics, etc plus related discussion.

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Mandolin/Guitar & Stands/Hangers

Postby Ray(T) » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:19 pm

We've just spent a small fortune re-building the living room and I'm on the look-out for a couple of decent wooden mandolin/guitar stands and/or wall hangers, to match the decor - has anyone come across such a thing?

By "decent", I mean visually attractive. I'm aware of the likes of Hercules stands/hangers - I have 5 of their hangers in the dining room and a triple guitar stand for on-stage use. They even do steel ones with a wood grained finish! They make great products but what I'm looking for is something altogether more up-market probably built out of solid wood.

Any suggestions?

P.S. Its been very quiet in here recently - has everyone gone over to that twitbook thingy?
Ray(T)

Postby John Kelly » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:56 pm

Hi Ray, it is indeed quiet on this site for some time back. Have you any of the timber you used when rejigging your room? If so, have a go at making a couple of stands yourself or asking whover did the renovations to produce something. A friend of mine made up two lovely stands for his grandsons and they are really eye-catching articles. As they remain in the room there is no need to have hinges or other folding devices in them, so they are reasonably straightforward to make. He looked on the internet for designs and found several.
Here is a link to one I found at Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-AXW-Wo ... B002SU0JHY
Have a great Christmas and New Year!
JK Mandolins - handcrafted in Argyll, Scotland
John Kelly

Postby Ray(T) » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:02 pm

Hi John, unfortunately none of the timber used in the work would be suitable for stand manufacture and the people who did the work aren't the sort I could employ to manufacture stands.

My woodworking skills aren't up to building them, even if I had the time or inclination. I was really looking for something off the peg. The stands at Amazon appear to be out of stock and, although they aren't quite what I had in mind, are the best I've seen so far.
Cheers & thanks
Ray
Ray(T)

Return to Equipment