i built my mandolin in carbon fiber

Discussion groups for those of you with an interest in the construction and repair of the mandolin family instruments.

Moderator: Dave Hanson

i built my mandolin in carbon fiber

Postby laevusmanus » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:22 am

hello !
I am french. Sorry for my bad English, please !!
I entirely carried out a carbon mandoline (bowlback). I have a perfect command of composite materials and acoustic qualities of carbon are remarkable on many points.
Here a link for a short slide show of construction.
No concern to answer all your questions for those and those which wish information.

http://youtu.be/guPens1N2pQ
laevusmanus

Re: i built my mandolin in carbon fiber

Postby John Kelly » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:49 pm

Very interesting process. The finished tone, if that is the instrument playing in your video, is quite different from a "standard" build. J'aime beaucoup votre mandoline!
JK Mandolins - handcrafted in Argyll, Scotland
John Kelly

Re: i built my mandolin in carbon fiber

Postby laevusmanus » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:20 am

Yes, this is that of the "Nivram" clip
The sound is very different from a mandoline out of wooden, owing to the fact that carbon does not colour the sound at all. The harmonics are also very present and the way of playing has also a great importance. The choice of the strings is thus very important.
I know that some do not like this lack of specific colouring to each type of wood. They find its cold. I respect absolutely. But this is largely compensated by harmonics rich person. With carbon, there is no more this sound of the horrible barrel specific to certain mandolines.
laevusmanus

Return to Builders / Repair