Truss rod repair Gibson A-50

Discussion groups for those of you with an interest in the construction and repair of the mandolin family instruments.

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Truss rod repair Gibson A-50

Postby ladykaye » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:14 am

Does anyone know of a repairer who has one of those Stewmac trussrod repair tools that can rethread the broken end of a Gibson rod? Rod hass sheared just below the brassnut. I would buy the tool myself but it's expensive and after this episode I can't see me ever making the same mistake again!

I'm so fussy that I wanted the neck really flat even though the relief was not too excessive. I tried to bring it up gradually over a few days. The weird thing is that the rod had no effect on the neck relief anyway right up to where it 'popped'. Lesson learned!

Any offers of help or quotes gratefully accepted
Regards
Kaye
ladykaye

Re: Truss rod repair Gibson A-50

Postby Dave Hanson » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:39 pm

The only thing I can suggest is taking your mandolin to a good luthier , who will be able to tell you what would be involved in fixing it.

Truss rods are definately no go areas for amateur repairers.

Good luck, Dave H
Dave Hanson

Postby ladykaye » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:50 pm

Thanks Dave.
However, I know what is involved doing the repair in the 'conventional' luthier way. Stewmac retail a clever tool which obviates removing the fingerboard and uses the remaining trussrod to create a new thread for the adjusting nut. I'm looking for a repairman who already has one of these tools.
Regards
Kaye
ladykaye

Postby SimonH » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:25 pm

Hi Kaye - If you take a look at the grahamparkerluthier.com site, and look under truss rod repairs, it looks like they have the tool you mention - there is a description of a repair to a Les Paul truss rod which looks as if it's carried out with that tool. They are in London but accept repairs from all over the UK. They build mandolins and mandolas too, so they aren't just a guitar repair shop. Hope this helps. Regards Simon
SimonH

Return to Builders / Repair