location of Jack socket

Discussion groups for those of you with an interest in the construction and repair of the mandolin family instruments.

Moderator: Dave Hanson

location of Jack socket

Postby Karaokeb » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:47 pm

Just a quick one where is the Jack socket located on aa A style mandolin?
Karaokeb

Re: location of Jack socket

Postby Dave Hanson » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:55 pm

usually through the bottom strap button, if one is fitted.

Dave H
Dave Hanson

Postby John Kelly » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:31 am

As Dave says, usually a combined endpin/jacksocket, but I have recently fitted the excellent JJB pickups to a mandolin and an octave and have put the socket on the side of the instrument -both are rosewood and my own builds. This is a less solid area to fix to and involves drilling a hole in the side to accommodate the socket (as does the end-pin jack too). I reinforced the area behind the socket on the side of the instruments and am perfectly happy with this set-up. It is where you will often see guitar jack sockets being placed. You miss out on the strength of the tailblock taking the socket, but then tailblock fitting needs a bigger hole drilled to accommodate the socket itself.
JK Mandolins - handcrafted in Argyll, Scotland
John Kelly

Postby Karaokeb » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:09 pm

Thank you for your replies took the bull by the horns in the end and as I did not fancy drilling the tail piece drilled relatively close to the tail piece between the inner reinforcement on the top and back of the instrument. Will try and get a gold nut and washer to match at sometime but at the moment pleased with both the job and the sound from the pick up fixed to the underside of the of the top of the mando played through a Trace Elliot acoustic amp. Especially as the entire cost was less then £2.50 (from Amazon) for the PU and socket already soldered together. Would put a pic on but not that computer savvy.
Karaokeb

Return to Builders / Repair