F-style mandola?

Discussion groups for those of you with an interest in the construction and repair of the mandolin family instruments.

Moderator: Dave Hanson

F-style mandola?

Postby jimmoray » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:02 pm

Is there such thing as an F-style mandola available off the shelf? I was hoping that Eastman might make one - my Eastman mandolin is incredible - but I don't think they do.

Will I have to get one made for me?

thanks

J
jimmoray

Postby trevor » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:07 pm

Jim,
Eastman make two models of mandola, I have them both in stock, take a look at my website.
I also have one by Rosta Capek.
Trevor
The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) 01273 671841
www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk
Over 100 mandolins in stock.
trevor

Postby jimmoray » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:48 pm

Oh, that was a quick reply. I have got seriously into my Eastman mandolin for accompanying songs, but my voice is right at the top end of its range so ideally I need something a little lower.

Seriously thinking about the 815 mando you have, but it involves trading or selling something else, so... I will have a think and give you a ring.

many many thanks

J
jimmoray

Postby trevor » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:00 pm

J,
Part exchange is no problem, mandolin (and family) or guitar. I am not based in the shop (no space for an office). You can call me on 07790 908535.

I play mandola for the very reason you say, you can sing with it (in private in my case).
Trevor
trevor

Postby Uncle Choppy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:13 pm

trevor wrote:Part exchange is no problem, mandolin (and family) or guitar.

What about a Wife (hard worker, all her own teeth) and elderly Mother (still strong, eats very little) for a Capek A4?

trevor wrote:I play mandola for the very reason you say, you can sing with it (in private in my case).

That must be quite a large case!

Sorry Trevor.

PS: Still loving the Lebeda
Uncle Choppy

Postby trevor » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:24 pm

Had a wife, left her and went to live in the case..
Trevor
trevor

Postby Dave Hanson » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:39 am

Couldn't support the wife, the Paul Shippey and the Gibson, so the wife had to go.

Dave H
Dave Hanson

Postby Ray(T) » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:07 pm

Never had a wife but I've been with my partner for twice as long as she was previously married. Probably unusual but she's a bad influence as far as instruments are concerned - she encourages me to buy them. She'd like me to buy a Dobro but I suspect she thinks I'll immediately sound like Jerry Douglas. Seriously, Trevor, if I manage to get to Brighton I'll bring the spare D18 with me. I could do with balancing the Guitar : Mandolin ratio. Failing that, is the "man with a van" tour still on?

Ray
Ray(T)

Postby trevor » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:57 am

Ray,
Don't know why it took me so long to spot your post, must be all the 'other' stuff that's being posted at the moment.

No problem to trade a D18, we don't stock any of the 'big names' because I think the guitars from the small makers are better, but we do a steady trade in used Martin, Taylor etc that come in from trades.

At the moment the tour is looking unlikely, thanks to those that encouraged me but there wasn't that many, and as I looked into the logistics it looked like a lot of work, particularly publicity wise to make sure enough people turned up..
Trevor
trevor

Postby Ray(T) » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:05 pm

Hi Trevor, A pity but I can imagine the problems let alone worrying if the van or its contents would still be there the next morning. I'll have to persuade the missus we need a trip to the south coast some time next year. The only time we usually get that way is heading for the Dover ferry.

By the way, there's a secret mandolin shop up north. I went in to buy a Gbson "A" that had been in the window unloved for a couple of months. We went upstairs to settle the deal and in order to find the case, which eventually the owner decided was at home, he pulled another 4 out of the attic.
Ray
Ray(T)

Postby trevor » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:59 pm

Ray,
That's interesting. I just got my hands on three more vintage Gibsons, a Snakehead, an A1, H1 mandola and I am trying to work out a deal on an A4. That would make 19 in total.
Trevor
trevor

Postby Ray(T) » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:48 pm

Trevor, Yes but these weren't for sale, they were just stuck in the attic. Apart from the usual cheap "music shop" basic mandolins, the A1 I bought was the only one on display. Heaven know what else he has hanging around.

Don't let me ask ........ oh go on! What's the snakehead like? - Ray
Ray(T)

Postby trevor » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:10 pm

Ray,
'Got my hands on' is TAMCO-speak for bought but not arrived. With you no what happening soon who knows when (if) they will arrive.

I already have a snakehead and have had loads before. I am a lover of the thuddy thump of the A3 whitefaces. The snakeheads have a lot more definition and clarity, also great projection (blah techno speak but seems appropriate in this case).

I got a great deal on the one that's coming so it should be under £2K but I haven't seen or heard it yet... could be a great bargain or a load of cr** and need loads of work, that's the problem with buying unseen.. even from reliable sources..

I hope to do a downlaod early in the New Year with them all on.
Trevor
trevor

Postby Ray(T) » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:08 pm

Thanks I'll keep checking the website. I knew you had a s/h coming and assumed it had arrived - R
Ray(T)

Postby trevor » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:25 am

Ray,
No need to check regularly. If you go to either 'sign up/news' on the homepage or 'sign up for stock updates' on the drop down menu and sign in you will be notified when there is a new website up-date and directed to What's New(s)? which gives a list, with links, of all the new stock.

That's all you get if you sign up, a notification of new stock about once a month.

Looks like the A1 might be a while... it was sent surface mail, despite very specific instructions... that can take up to 10 weeks!!! or... no don't want to think about that..
Trevor
trevor

Next

Return to Builders / Repair