Mandolin Making Book?

Discussion groups for those of you with an interest in the construction and repair of the mandolin family instruments.

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Mandolin Making Book?

Postby Jimmy » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:26 pm

When I was younger I had a great book that went through the process of making a mandolin step by step. It was full of photographs and I think it even contained plans. I have since lost the book and cant remember the name of the book or the author does anyone have any ideas?
Jimmy

Postby PseudoCelt » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:37 pm

Was it Roger Siminoff's "Constructing A Bluegrass Mandolin"? He has since rewritten and updated it as "The Ultimate Bluegrass Mandolin Construction Manual"? It does contain a full set of plans, though many people seem to use plans from elsewhere.

I bought a copy from Amazon.co.uk quite cheaply last year.

I also have "The Mandolin Manual" by John Troughton, which deals with building flattop instruments. You can get that from Amazon too.

Patrick
PseudoCelt

Postby Jimmy » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:50 pm

thanks for that just been on amazon and that seems to be the one, the name definitely rings a bell. Have you found the book useful ?

I remember being inspired when i read it and set to work, I think I struggled finding good materials and got as far as carving the top and shaping a neck. I was fifiteen at the time and another project took over.

I keep seeing all these beautifully made mandolins and remember the frankenteins monster I never completed!!! maybe things would be diferent this time?....
Jimmy

Postby PseudoCelt » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:23 pm

At the moment, I don't have enough room in my flat to build anything, so I just got it out of interest and for future inspiration.

It does seem to be clearly written and the photos are pretty good. If you search the archives over at Mandolin Cafe, you should find some opinions on the book. I'm sure it has been discussed before.

Patrick
PseudoCelt

Return to Builders / Repair