Building a Mandolin from a KIt

Discussion groups for those of you with an interest in the construction and repair of the mandolin family instruments.

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Building a Mandolin from a KIt

Postby kjwa » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:09 pm

Hi,
I quite fancy building a mandolin from a kit. Most of the kits seem to come from the US though, and I'm not clear what the shipping and import taxes will be.
Does anyone know of any UK/european sellers of mandolin kits? So far, I've found this
http://www.luthimate.fr/product_info.ph ... ts_id=1209

which looks like a SAGA, which I've seen on ebay. It looks to me like it'd be decent quality as it has a solid spruce top, and the price seems reasonable. All the tricky bits seem to have been done already, which would be good for a first project.

Can anyone suggest any other options? Has anyone built a mandolin from one of these kits?
kjwa

Postby Alastair » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:48 am

I asked Customs and Excise about the import duties on kits several years ago. It worked out at about 20%.

Alastair
Alastair
Alastair

Postby Rob-C » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:31 pm

The Stewmac kits seem to get reasonably good write-ups on MIMF.com Certainly the instructions for the flat-top kit seem to contain enough information to be able to build a mandolin from scratch. (It's on my to-do list!)

With the exchange rate as it is, now might be a good time to buy one, even with the duty to pay.
Rob-C

Return to Builders / Repair