Sharp fret ends

Discussion groups for those of you with an interest in the construction and repair of the mandolin family instruments.

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Postby tom » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:49 pm

Fair enough Ray. I have to hold my hands up and say that my comments were made based on the hand full of Eastmans I have seen. All of which seemed to be very good at the price.
tom

Postby trevor » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:26 am

I have sold many Eastman mandolins and not had many problems, they are great value mandolins in my opinion.
Trevor
The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) 01273 671841
www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk
Over 100 mandolins in stock.
trevor

Postby Ray(T) » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:10 am

I'm sure all makes have their rogues but the 615 mandola I tried last week was particularly bad. In addition, I wasn't particularly impressed with the volume/sound in general.

Trevor, I know you have a "thing" about mandolas, how do the Eastmans compare with the other makes you stock? (PM me if you'd rather) I can feel a short break to Brighton coming on!
Ray
Ray(T)

Postby trevor » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:28 am

Ray,
The Estman mandolas I have are much better than I expected because I favour oval hole mandolins generally but even more so for mandolas. They are F hole so I hadn't expected the depth and mellownes that they actually have.

If I had an instrument that bad I would send it back...
Trevor
The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) 01273 671841
www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk
Over 100 mandolins in stock.
trevor

Postby Ray(T) » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:44 am

I have obviously been spoilt by the Holoubek - I think the moral is "try before you buy" and there aren't many places you can make comparisons.
Ray
Ray(T)

Postby bluemando » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:47 pm

Gents
There is nothing I can add to this thread as the contributors have more technical expertise than me but I have to say that I have found it really useful and interesting.
This is exactly what this forum should be about - an exchange of views and dissipation of useful information.
Well done guys.
bluemando
bluemando

Sharp fret ends

Postby PCT57 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:07 pm

Received a call from Forsythe's today to say the mandolin is ready to pick up after having it over a week (sickness to repair man).

Said some of the feel was due to the "high thin frets but it should be ok now". I cannot pick it up today due to home match with Brighton so will get it on Monday.

Will let you know what it is like.
Regards

Phil
PCT57

Sharp fret ends

Postby PCT57 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:35 pm

I have now got the mandolin back from Forsythe's minus the sharp fret ends and it is much better.

I have however now got a 75mm long hairline scratch on the top which because of the dark finish you can only see when you angle it to the light - never mind though, I have just put new strings on it and it sounds good.

Thanks for your advice and comments.
Regards

Phil
PCT57

Previous

Return to Builders / Repair