Marshall Dow mandolins

Discussion groups for those of you with an interest in the construction and repair of the mandolin family instruments.

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Marshall Dow mandolins

Postby Bill » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:31 pm

Anyone had any experience of Marshall Dow mandolins?

Bill
Bill

Postby Dave Hanson » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:21 am

Great musician and all round good guy Tom Napper plays a Marshall Dow ' A ' model mandolin, it sounds not unlike the old oval hole Gibsons, a very fine instrument, reputedly built from an old coffee table, I asked Tom about this and he said there may well be some furniture in it.
One of only two I've ever come accross, both superb.

Marshall Dow is a very fine builder.

Dave H
Dave Hanson

Postby tom » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:14 am

I also have seen tom's Marshall Dow. I seem to remember that he said the soundboard was made, unusualy, from Pitch pine on that particular instrument. Though I could be wrong. Whatever the build Tom was obviously impressed with his instrument as a whole.

You could try talking to Pete Murry from Celtic chords in Stonehaven, 01569 763913 . He knows him and I think Marshall does some repair work for him.
tom

Postby Bill » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:18 pm

Thanks for your kind replies. I dug deep and am now the proud owner of a Marshall Dow that I picked up from Pete’s place in Stonehaven yesterday. A truly gorgeous carved top oval hole folk instrument, with beautiful inlays. Zinging trebles with loads of sustain, yet a true balance of complex tones and controlled volume beyond what I’ve experienced with other mandolins. Also the action is very low, which suits me down to the ground.

As a new player, I’ve been reasonably happy with the progress I’ve made and I felt happy to upgrade my first mandolin. The challenge now will be to get my playing up to a level that will match the quality of the MD!
Bill

Return to Builders / Repair