Help Needed! Coatbridge/ Glasgow area

Discussion groups for those of you with an interest in the construction and repair of the mandolin family instruments.

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Help Needed! Coatbridge/ Glasgow area

Postby johns1968 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:18 pm

Hi Folks and I hope someone can maybe point me in the right direction...

I own a Mandolin (Can't Play!) which has a wonderful history to it and i would like to try and get it restored. I believe it is a rosebowl type and the back has what i would describe as 'cracks' along the seams. It also has a few 'warps' on it.

It was given to me by my Father before he died and i never new until recently that he got it from his Brother in Law who was given it during WWII whilst he was in a prisoner of war camp in Poland. He kept it and walked all the way to Berlin from southern Poland with this Mandolin to give it to my Father, which he did.

I remember when i was young ( a while ago now!) my Father playing it and it would be great to try and get it back up and running.

So hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Many Thanks

John
johns1968

Postby Dave Hanson » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:51 am

Hi John, check out our builders list, nearest one to you I think would be Jimmy Moon, he used to be in Glasgow but is somewhere near Arran now, pretty sure they do repairs and restorations, trouble is this may cost more than the instrument is worth.

Good luck, Dave H
Dave Hanson

Postby Fliss » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:16 pm

You could try contacting the Lanarkshire Guitar and Mandolin Association - they may be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.mandolinscotland.org/index.html

Fliss
Fliss

Postby johns1968 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:18 pm

Thanks very much for that folks, I thought it probablt would be more expensive to fix than its worth but it would be worth it just to hear it playing again... thanks again, John
johns1968

Postby Alastair » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:46 pm

Jimmy Moon in Glasgow would be a good place to start.
Alastair
Alastair

Return to Builders / Repair