Garrison Mandolin

Discussion groups for those of you with an interest in the construction and repair of the mandolin family instruments.

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Garrison Mandolin

Postby Fliss » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:18 pm

Hi everyone. I've just splashed out on a new Garrison Mandolin - I'd never heard of them, and can't find anything on the internet about them, but I tried it alongside other mandolins the shop had in stock including a Moon, a Fylde and a second hand Oakwood and it seemed to me to compare favourably to any of these.

I suspect the mandolins are a new venture for Garrison Guitars - I found loads on the net about the guitars!

Does anyone else know anything about Garrison mandolins, or does anyone else own one?

Fliss
Fliss

Garrison mandolins

Postby Dave Hanson » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:14 am

Hi Fliss and welcome to the forum, I must confess I've not heard of Garrison mandolins, if you don't get any information here probably the best place to ask would be on the forum at the Mandolin Cafe, it's totally dedicated to mandolins and full of info.

I've asked for information several times and someone always comes up trumps.

Dave
Dave Hanson

Postby Fliss » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:07 pm

Hi Dave

Thanks for the welcome and the suggestion.

I've taken your advice and registered with the Mandolin Cafe forum, but for some reason although I've registered it won't let me start a topic to ask the question. I'll keep trying. It does look like a lively and well-used forum.

Fliss
Fliss

Garrison mandolins

Postby Dave Hanson » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:44 am

Hi Fliss, I've posted a request for information on the Mandolin Cafe message board and I will post the results here, when there are any.

Dave
Dave Hanson

Garrison mandolins

Postby Dave Hanson » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:02 am

Hi Fliss, it does seem that Garrison mandolins are made by Garrison Guitars. If you go to the Mandolin Cafe, click on message boards, scroll down to ' information about mandolins ' you can read it all so far, there is also a link to some photo's of Garrison mandolins and mandolas.
Some are apparently made in Newfoundland and have carbon fibre bracing.
They do look good.

Dave
Dave Hanson

Postby Fliss » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:31 pm

Thanks Dave. I'm glad that the feedback is positive, although there doesn't seem to be a lot known about them yet.

I chose the mandolin because I like it, despite never having heard of Garrison - it seems to have a very good tone compared to others in the price range, a nice mellow sound with a good sustain which is what I wanted, the build quality seemed very good (I think the back and sides are sapele and the top sitka spruce, I understand it's one of the higher models in the range) and I like the way it looks as well, which is always a good thing!

The guy in the shop said they were hand made in Canada; looking at Garrison Guitars website I'm not sure how hand made they are, but the quality does seem good, and the carbon fibre bracing is interesting, sounds as if it's quite an innovative design.

But as someone who's not a total beginner but not the most knowledgeable either, I'm not completely confident in my own judgement here, so it's good to find out a little more to back it up. I've been playing it every spare minute since I bought it on Wednesday, and I'm really enjoying it. Now all I have to do is improve my playing so I can be a bit more worthy of it... :smile:

Thanks again for your help - I've now received a second e-mail from Mandolin Cafe, so I think my registration should now be completed so that I can post on there. I'll go back onto it and see if I can post a response on that thread too.

Fliss
Fliss

Garrison

Postby Dave Hanson » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:17 pm

Fliss, you also have the satisfaction of knowing that instruments with spruce tops, the sound improves with age and playing.

Dave
Dave Hanson

Postby Fliss » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:25 pm

Thanks Dave, if I keep practicing, lets hope that like the mandolin I'll also get better with age and playing :smile:

I've posted a pic of both of me and the mando on the relevant thread on the Mandolin Cafe noticeboard now.

Thanks again for your help

Cheers
Fliss
Fliss

Garrison

Postby Dave Hanson » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:12 am

Well done Fliss, I'm impressed, I think we'll have a go at Barry to have something similar here.

Dave
Dave Hanson

Postby Crofty » Mon May 29, 2006 7:16 am

Hi Fliss
You might be interested to know that a guitar magazine called Acoustic
has a review of a Garrison mandolin.It was up against 3 other F style mandolins and it came out very well.
Regards
Crofty
Crofty
Crofty

Postby Fliss » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:20 pm

Hi Crofty, thanks for the info. I'll look out for that magazine. Curious that they'd compare it with F style mandolins, as the Garrison is a flat top, and as far as I know that's the only kind they do. I wonder if they've introduced an F style into their range? They're not very forthcoming with information about their mandolins!

Fliss
Fliss

Postby Fliss » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:07 pm

I've now picked up the magazine, and read the review, which was written by Simon Mayer, no less! The comparison is between the Garrison flat top, an Ashbury A4 style, an Aria A5 style, and an Ovation, four very different mandolins. Both the Garrison and the Ashbury came out of it very well, and I have to say I liked the look of that Ashbury!

That Garrison is a lower model than mine, the M-4, which has a spruce top and mahogany back and sides. I like mine a lot, but it's still nice to see one getting a good review from someone so knowledgeable.

I thought it was a good magazine, and had some further mando content, also by Simon Mayer.

Fliss
Fliss

Postby Crofty » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:34 am

Hi Fliss
I play guitar as well hence the reason I get the mag,but Simon has a spot in the magazine every time it comes out.They have reviewed a
few mandolins over the months.I fancy an F style mandolin and I had an
Ashbury for a while.It had a great tone and was quite well made but I found the nut width of 27mm a bit narrow,so I swapped it for a Hathway
which is great.I still fancy a F style but it seems not many are made with
a wider nut at a price I can afford.Looking to try a Washburn M120 which has a 1 and 3/16ths nut, anyone tried one ?
Regards
Crofty
Crofty
Crofty

Postby trevor » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:55 pm

I've just got in Garrisom 'octave mandolins' 20" sacle so can be tuned as mandola also (CGDA). I am very impressed, see my website for more details. I have some mandolins on order, I will report on those when they arrive.
Trevor
The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) 01273 671841
www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk
Over 100 mandolins in stock.
trevor

Postby Fliss » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:06 pm

Hi Trevor, thanks for the info. The OM-4 that you have on your site is the "big brother" of my M-4! I'll be very interested to hear what you think of the mandos when you get them.

I'm keen to make a trip to your shop at some stage to look at all the wonderful things you stock (and perhaps to let myself get tempted by a beautiful small bodied guitar if I haven't already bought one by then) but since I live in the North West of England, it's a long way away. However I'm going to London for a weekend early in August, so I may manage to make a trip then, fingers crossed.

Fliss
Fliss

Next

Return to Builders / Repair