Garrison Mandolin

Discussion groups for those of you with an interest in the construction and repair of the mandolin family instruments.

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Re: Garrison Mandolin

Postby Ray(T) » Sun May 24, 2015 1:46 pm

Whatever happened to Fliss!? She's not posted in years.

Anyhow, my local auction house has a couple of Garrison OM's for sale later this week. Does anyone have a ballpark figure for what one might be worth? My understanding is that Garrison were taken over by Gibson who simply stopped making them.

I'm up in Scotland at the moment but hope to be back in time to look at them. The only thing I don't fancy the look of is the fibreglass bracing.
Ray(T)

Postby trevor » Sun May 24, 2015 2:35 pm

If I recall correctly the OMs only have plastic bracing on the tops, the rest is wood.

I would say around £100 - £150, maybe up to £200 if they are in excellent condition and sound good.
Trevor
The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) 01273 671841
www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk
Over 100 mandolins in stock.
trevor

Postby Ray(T) » Tue May 26, 2015 3:39 pm

Thanks Trevor,
Just back home! There is clearly more than one model of Garrison OM. From the photographs, the two they are selling are different shapes - they clearly don't know what they've got as they're not even being sold as "Garrison" OMs. The higher value one has a 5 piece back which is part maple and part what is said to be Braz. Rosewood with a spruce top. The other appears to be mahogany with a cedar top. They're estimated at £300-£500 and £150-250 resp. and, assuming they're OK, I'm only intending to have a go if they go for n'owt as they say in these parts. They also have a mandolin @ £100-£150 but, as you know Trevor, I don't really need another one of those!

Prices at this auction house tend to be high. They had a knackered old cello last year, estimated at less than £100; apparently because the owner wanted at least £80 for it. It finally went for £5K + commission.

Anyone else?
Ray
Ray(T)

Postby Ray(T) » Wed May 27, 2015 3:19 pm

Subject closed.

Been to see them and they're not by Garrison (only had a blurred photo of a label to go by). I won't be bidding - I've not seen anything so amateurish in years. I won't say who built them; his work speaks for itself!

Can't wait to see what some dealer might pay for them and I'm still wondering wha happened to Fliss.
Ray(T)

Previous

Return to Builders / Repair