Electric mandolin pickups

Discussion groups for those of you with an interest in the construction and repair of the mandolin family instruments.

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Electric mandolin pickups

Postby Paul Caswell » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:35 pm

I am in the process of constructing a solid body mandolin with eight strings. I have an electric acoustic which sounds great but I want to expand my options from a clear crisp mandolin sound to something a bit more rough and distorted the same as you experience with an electric guitar. The problem is I have no experience with tranducer type pickups and theres my problem. The best solid body mandolins tend to have either one at the bridge and another at the neck but of what type I am unsure. If anyone could Help me it would be appreciated. I have just started to make F5 and A2 accoustic copies so construction is not a problem it is just the right pickups to use. Paul.
Paul Caswell

E-Mando pickups

Postby TJBales » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:12 pm

Hello Paul.....I build electric mandolins, both solid & semi-hollow
bodies. The best pickups I've found are dual-rail humbuckers.
Carvin makes a good one......I believe it is the TBH-60.
Very warm & full sounding.
With this kind of pickup, you don't have to worry about polepieces,
as the magnet runs across the pickup.

Thanks, Terry Bales www.balesguitars.com
Terry Bales
TJBales

Postby Rob-C » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:37 pm

Another option is to separate the two coils of a Precision bass pickup. The pole piece spacing is just about spot on. I have had good results by placing the pickup at the same distance from the bridge as the middle pickup is on a strat guitar.
Rob-C

Postby david blair » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:31 am

Hi all

Just wanted to bring this thread back up, and see if there were any new ideas around? It sure would be nice to see some new pickup designs.
Like a magnetic, piezo, microphone combo? My latest and best for my acoustic arch top is a piezo/mic combo. I'm using a banjo pickup stuck against the bridge with putty and a small condenser mic over the lower F hole. I discovered today that if I loop the mic signal back into the pickup loop an reverse phase, no feedback!
What's working for you?
david blair

Return to Builders / Repair