Paul Shippey 10 String

Discussion groups for those of you with an interest in the construction and repair of the mandolin family instruments.

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Paul Shippey 10 String

Postby Tosh Marshall » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:20 pm

I am currently having a 10 String built by Paul Shippey. I am keeping a photo diary here:- http://www.flickr.com/photos/toshpics/s ... 416735995/ It will be the normal woods (Spruce top, Indian Rosewood back & sides) and I'm having a Black top finish to go in a Red Carlton case. I'll keep adding pics as Paul sends them to me......
There is a really nice sound sample at Paul's site :- http://www.paulshippey.co.uk/10%20strin ... dolins.htm
Tosh
Tosh Marshall

Paul Shippey Cherry Oval
Paul Shippey 10 String Mandolin
Weber Gallatin Mandocello
Eastman 815
Eastman 505
Tosh Marshall

Postby JCLondonUK » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:42 pm

I didn't realise it would be a black top Tosh -- that'll be excellent!

Loved the pics -- keep 'em coming.
JCLondonUK

new pics

Postby Tosh Marshall » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:25 pm

I just added a couple of more pics of the build. Thanks to Paul for supplying the pics.....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/toshpics/s ... 416735995/
Tosh Marshall

Paul Shippey Cherry Oval
Eastman 815
Eastman 505
Tosh Marshall

Postby Ray(T) » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:03 pm

Is it a "Carlton" case or a "Calton" Tosh?
Ray(T)

Case

Postby Tosh Marshall » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:54 pm

Apologies Ray, it is a Calton....my dodgy spelling.......
Tosh Marshall

Paul Shippey Cherry Oval
Eastman 815
Eastman 505
Tosh Marshall

Postby JCLondonUK » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:48 pm

Looking very good Tosh! I really like build pictures :smile:
JCLondonUK

Postby Ray(T) » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:36 pm

Good choice Tosh, I bought my first just after Keith started building them and its still going 34 years later.
Ray
Ray(T)

Latest pics...

Postby Tosh Marshall » Sun May 16, 2010 3:25 pm

Paul has just sent me the latest pics, work on the neck and fretboard and preparation for stain and lacquer. Starting to look close to the finished article! http://www.flickr.com/photos/toshpics/s ... 416735995/
Tosh Marshall

Paul Shippey Cherry Oval
Eastman 815
Eastman 505
Tosh Marshall

Postby Fliss » Mon May 17, 2010 6:16 am

That's looking great, Tosh, you must be really excited about this!

Fliss
Fliss

Patience!

Postby Tosh Marshall » Mon May 17, 2010 6:29 am

I am excited Fliss, it has been great to see the construction process and to see it come to fruition. Hopefully it gives others an insight as to why hand built instruments are not knocked out overnight! Time and dedication and patience (especially on my part!) is required. If you haven't got patience, then Trevor is the only option open to you as his collection has already been through this process! I am also a little bit trepidated because I won't know what to do with it once I get it!!!!!!! I'm sure I'll learn though! I'll get Mr McDermott to demonstrate it when I get it.....that'll be better than me murdering it!
Tosh Marshall

Paul Shippey Cherry Oval
Eastman 815
Eastman 505
Tosh Marshall

Black lacquer goes on....

Postby Tosh Marshall » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:32 am

Paul has just updated me on the progress. He has put the Black Lacquer on the top and it's about four weeks away now. He said the Red Calton case looks superb as well!!!!! http://www.flickr.com/photos/toshpics/s ... 3416735995
Tosh Marshall

Paul Shippey Cherry Oval
Eastman 815
Eastman 505
Tosh Marshall

Postby Fliss » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:49 pm

Hey Tosh, I just have to share something with you - I had a Shippey A5 mando in my hands tonight :grin:

Chris, the (absolutely brilliant) mandolin player in the resident band at the folk club I go to is having one built for him by Paul, and so Paul had sent him the demo one (which I think is the one pictured on his website) on loan so he can get a feel for what his will be like. Chris let me have a little play on it, and it was wonderful. It has a fineness about it, the build quality is superb, everything about as crisp as it can be. The satin finish is lovely (though Chris's is going to be gloss, I think) and the tone is bright and ringing, very sweet. The only thing I didn't like about it is the burst, but that's just my personal preference.

Chris has a rosewood ovel hole Shippey already, and I've had a play on that, but this A5 was better IMO. It felt more balanced somehow, more comfortable in my hands.

I know you are already familiar with Shippey instruments since you already have your cherry oval hole, but I just thought you'd be interested to hear about that, since your new baby can't be too far off now :grin:

Fliss
Fliss

Paul Shippey

Postby Tosh Marshall » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:46 pm

Hi Fliss,
Yeah it's only a couple of weeks away now, so I'm pretty excited about getting it. I know all about the A5 although I haven't held one, but you can tell and Dave Hanson experienced one at the Music Room and said it was one of the best he had played. I have instructed Paul to build one for Joel McDermott. I know what you are saying about the finish, which is a matter of choice, I too prefer the glossier finish but Paul can lacquer it in the colour and finish of your choice. He can also tweek it for either Bluegrass or Traditional. He's a top quality luthier and he takes on board your opinions and will work to your specs. All I had done differently on the 10 string is the Black finish, which will look absolutely stunning.
I'm glad you got to try it Fliss and thought it was a lovely instrument, I really like the Monteleone tailpiece as I prefer FT74's which are loop ended. Although I can't take anything away from the trapeze tailpiece because no matter what strings I've put on, it has coped with and still sounds great.
I think the 10 String will take a bit of getting used to but I love what I see so far!!!!!
Tosh Marshall

Paul Shippey Cherry Oval
Eastman 815
Eastman 505
Tosh Marshall

Postby Ray(T) » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:11 pm

The trouble with satin finishes Fliss/Tosh is that they tend to go shiny in the places that get rubbed. I have a parlour guitar that started out in satin but now has shiny patches and my National mandolin has the usual "National" matt finish but, after only 8 months, the neck is already glossy.
Ray(T)

Finishes

Postby Tosh Marshall » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:23 pm

Have to agree with you there Ray, I prefer gloss to satin. There are some nice satin finished mandolins but I prefer a good lacquered finish. I also love the way you can thin the colour to bring out the grain. Just check them out on Trevor's site, some amazing finishes. They are more than mandolins, they're works of art....
Tosh Marshall

Paul Shippey Cherry Oval
Eastman 815
Eastman 505
Tosh Marshall

Next

Return to Builders / Repair