Loar 700 chip

Discussion groups for those of you with an interest in the construction and repair of the mandolin family instruments.

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Loar 700 chip

Postby Brownengineer » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:56 pm

Hi anybody, Ive just drop the phone on my new Loar 700 Mando and its taken a chip out of the laquer. Is there anyone out there who knows anything i can do bearing in mind i play the mando and am no luther.

Cheers..
Dave
Brownengineer

Postby Ray(T) » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:08 pm

Assuming you haven't seriously damaged the wood

i) If you're bothered by having a chip out of it - take it to a repair person and have it repaired. Bear in mind that re-finishing a chip alone may not be successful and it may not be possible to have it invisibly mended. I dropped a Peterson tuner on one of my guitars, had it touched in but you can still see the mark. The only way to get rid of some marks is to re-finish the top. It also depends on what the instrument is finished in. Nitro-cellulose or French polish is usually no problem if you know what you're doing but many modern finishes (e.g. UV cured) aren't so simple.

ii) If you're not bothered by having a chip out of it - at least seal it to keep the dirt out. Use nail varnish (clear - unless you really want to show up the chip) Nail varnish can be easily removed if you decide to have it repaired later.

The first chip out of an instrument is always the worst. The next time you won't feel half so upset.
Ray
Ray(T)

Postby Brownengineer » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:20 pm

Cheers Ray.

Like i say im new to this so there are a couple of luthers around about, i just wondered if it was possible to do it on the cheap. Tanks for the advice.

Dave
Brownengineer

Return to Builders / Repair