A 'new' old Luthier

Discussion groups for those of you with an interest in the construction and repair of the mandolin family instruments.

Moderator: Dave Hanson

A 'new' old Luthier

Postby JJ Jules » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:49 pm

My first post here: greetings to fellow 8-string addicts and please forgive any transgression of house style.

Serendipity brought me to Mr Con Rendell, a luthier for almost 40 years, now based at Mistley Quay, on the south bank of the river Stour, not far from Manningtree, Essex.

I bought from eBay an Octave Mandolin, circa 1991, which Con had made, and decided he would be the ideal man to restore it and convert it to left handed, as is my bent.

He undertook the work rapidly, to an agreed price, and, as a result, I now have the most resonant instrument I've ever plucked. I'm delighted.

So this is an unsolicited testimonial.

At the time I met him, Con did not advertise and had no web site. In the intervening months, friends have apparently persuaded him to enter the 21st century, so you can see the range of his work for yourselves.

http://www.conrendell.com/index.

I'm not in the habit of plugging anybody for anything (my other instrument of interest to this site is a left handed Eastman ordered via Trevor of The Acoustic Music in Brighton), but I consider Mr Rendell a UK resource worthy of note.
Do Be Do Be Do Be Do Be Do
JJ Jules

Postby JJ Jules » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:07 pm

a) Well, it could be called an octave mandola
b) The link doesn't seem to work: try

http://www.conrendell.com

Sorry: I did say I was a newbie
Do Be Do Be Do Be Do Be Do
JJ Jules

Postby John Kelly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:57 pm

Congratulations to Con on really excellent work and to yourself for posting the link to his site. He has such a wide range of expertise in the many instruments he crafts.
JK Mandolins - handcrafted in Argyll, Scotland
John Kelly

Return to Builders / Repair