Fender FM-62 SCE

Discussion groups for those of you with an interest in the construction and repair of the mandolin family instruments.

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Fender FM-62 SCE

Postby BillBee » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:19 pm

Hello all, I plucked (sorry) the FM62 out of my secret store room with a view to culling it as things are getting a bit crowded in there. I found that the bridge support rods lean forward in the direction of the neck. I have taken it apart and the rods are firmly screwed into the base and they aren't bent. Intonation seems to be OK. I was wondering if anybody has one of these to compare with.
It certainly looks wrong but as I say there isn't any sign that the bridge is collapsing.
Cheers, Bill
BillBee

Postby Beanzy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:44 pm

If the 12th fret octave is correct on the tuner then the bridge is in the correct place so it's not because that's shifted on the top.

Could it be that the last time the strings were all off the bridge foot came away from the upper saddle, then the saddle could have gone back on the other way around from the bridge foot?. Try removing the upper saddle part and turning the foot 180 degrees then replace the saddle. If this looks correct when the bridge goes back on then the mistery is solved. If not then maybe the pins are cross-threaded in the wood.
Beanzy

Fender FM62

Postby BillBee » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:32 pm

Hi Beanzy, Thanks for the reply. It really is a strange one that's why I was looking for a comparison.
It's an electro acoustic so the wire from the bridge pickup stops me from turning the bridge around as the holes thro' are on one side. The pins seem to be screwed into the base firmly and there is no sign that they have either come loose or are cross threaded. There is a small indicator inso much as the hole in the sound board for the pickup cable is pretty close to showing in the neck direction.
Kyle at the Mando Shop was very helpful with this and wrote me a long email describing how to fill the existing screw holes and remount them. I don't play it much and I was going to put it up for sale but until I get to the bottom of this mystery I'm stuck with it.
I think it was manufactured this way and because intonation is right I never noticed, I haven't used it much!
Best wishes. Bill[/img]
BillBee

Postby Ray(T) » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:43 pm

Are you sure its not just what you call the "bridge support rods" which are leaning forward and not the whole bridge?

Over time, bridges do have a tendency to develop a lean towards the neck and most experienced players are adept at using brute force [and, debatably, ignorance] to straighten them; although some would advise that you slacken the strings off a little first.

Its 'nowt unusual, as we say in these parts. I'd be careful about reversing the whole foot as, if its been properly fitted to the top one way round, it won't necessarily fit properly the other way round.

What I really don't understand is why someone feels it necessary to consider "culling the herd" so to speak. Surely you should first look for a bigger secret store room and, if one is not available, think about relocating to larger premises!
Ray(T)

Return to Builders / Repair