Mandolin learners

Musicians Classified Ads

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Mandolin learners

Postby petrus » Thu May 22, 2008 9:00 am

Hi, my name is Pete and I've recently discovered this Mandolin forum. I've retired from working and taken up trying to teach myself to play the mandolin. I've been practising celtic and bluegrass music but would like to meet with other like-minded beginners interested in developping some sessions so that we could practice and build a good repertoire of music. It would be nice to build some sort of "orchestra" group similar to that of nigel gatherer in Scotland. I have only been living in the York area for about two years but haven't found much here. Does anyone know of anything round this area?
petrus

Re: Mandolin learners

Postby Uncle Choppy » Fri May 23, 2008 8:06 pm

Being in the North West, I can't help.
However, I would say that I've always thought of York as a real session mecca, so I'd be worried if you couldn't find some kindred spirits there.
I hope that you can get something going as I feel that we all need to follow Nigel's lead and try and harness that whole "collective power" thing.

Good luck Pete.

Brendan
Uncle Choppy

Postby PseudoCelt » Sat May 24, 2008 4:27 pm

Looking at the list on TheSession.org, there seem to be a few trad sessions going on in York. Even if traditional music isn't what you're thinking of, the sessions might be good places to at least find some mandolin players. If you're willing to travel, there is a mandolin teacher listed on this site in East Yorks. He may know people who would be interested.

When Nigel Gatherer started his group, he had been teaching mandolin as part of the Scots Music Group in Edinburgh for a few years, so had the advantage of being in contact with a relatively large number of mandolin players (and an organisation to provide support). I was in one of his classes for a while, but moved away from Edinburgh just before he started the mandolin orchestra/group.

If you're starting up a group from scratch, I expect it might take a while to build up momentum. Sounds like a nice idea though.

Patrick
PseudoCelt

Sessions

Postby Simon » Tue May 27, 2008 5:30 pm

I'm in Driffield - not so far away. Perhaps we could get something going?
Simon

Postby diane » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:59 pm

Hi! I'm in Leeds. I would love to find a mandolin orchestra. I've just com back from LGMA mandolin weekend in Lanarkshire..great time. you should go next year.
Meanwhile there is a session at the Grove in Leeds on a Monday where Mandolin and fiddle players meet up with a leader. There is also a mandolin and fiddle tutor led session in Roundhay North Leeds..about to finish for the summer until the Autumn. Come out to the Swan at Addingham near Ilkley on monday night..much mandolin playing there..traditional singers/musiicians night..or the Three Peaks Folk Club in Settle on the penultimate Saturday of every month..plenty of mandolin players there.
diane

Return to Musicians Wanted/Available