Pickup on Epiphone MM50E

Strings, picks, tuners, amps, cases, tailpieces, mics, etc plus related discussion.

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Pickup on Epiphone MM50E

Postby dprestidge » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:01 pm

I've just bought the Epiphone electro acoustic. Does anyone have any info about the adjustable pickup levels? I can see where to do it - a little screwdriver goes into the holes in the pick guard. I've turned the little pot to increase the level of the E strings, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm assuming clockwise for increase, and anti clockwise to decrease. How many turns should it take?

I've contacted the Epiphone support page, and I'm waiting for an answer.

Hoping someone can help - David Prestidge
dprestidge

Re: Pickup on Epiphone MM50E

Postby Ray(T) » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:52 pm

Welcome to the forum.

That's the most complicated pickup I've ever seen on a mandolin. I'm sure we'd all be interested to hear what Epiphone say but you might get more sense out of the pickup manufacturer.
Ray(T)

Postby John Kelly » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:07 pm

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Bluegrass/MM-50E-Professional.aspx

This is an Epiphone page from their website with info on the pickup system - I just did a search and up it came.
One thing, and sorry to suggest this as I'm sure you have already done this - have you checked the battery which powers the system? It takes a lithium 2032 cell. If this is dead then you will not get any response from the pickup.
JK Mandolins - handcrafted in Argyll, Scotland
John Kelly

Postby Ray(T) » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:20 pm

Personally, I can't see the wisdom of powering a pickup with such a small battery. How long is one going to last and how easy is it to change one when your pickup goes down in the middle of a gig?

The good news is that CR 2032 Lithium cells are commonly used in things like tuners. The bad news is that the posh ones will cost you around £5 a pair from Tesco. I bought a load of 7day Shop's own brand for next to nothing a year or so ago. I can recommend their batteries but, unfortunately, they don't appear to be listed at the moment. They do have other makes in but I can't vouch for them.
Ray(T)

Postby dprestidge » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:24 am

Thanks for the replies, folks. I have taken one piece of advice, and contacted Shadow, who make the pick up. I also changed the (double) 2032 batteries. I will report back if and when I sort the problem out.
dprestidge

Postby colirv » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:23 pm

You can get packs of betteries from places like Wilko and Poundland.
Colin
colirv

Return to Equipment