Anyone know where to find a Savannah mandolin?

MandolinTalk

Moderator: Dave Hanson

Anyone know where to find a Savannah mandolin?

Postby printedland » Thu May 03, 2018 7:11 pm

I'm on the lookout for a second mandolin (yes, yes, I know, mandolin habit and all that.....) as a cheapie to take travelling etc. The most likely candidate looks like the Savannah SA-120 'Louisville' (see http://www.savannahacoustic.com/sa120.html)

However, I'm having check of a job finding one anywhere in the UK

Anyone come across one? Or seen one in. local music shop?

Any advice welcome!

thanks

Ian
printedland

Re: Anyone know where to find a Savannah mandolin?

Postby Ray(T) » Fri May 04, 2018 7:58 am

Can't say that I've ever seen one. Many of the "Pac-rim" instruments probably originate from the same factory. Why, in particular, do you want one of those?
Ray(T)

Postby printedland » Fri May 04, 2018 9:54 am

Thanks for the response.

It's not that I want one of these particularly, and I realise that it's another of the 'pac-rim' instruments from Korea or China.

However, my criteria were:
-cheap enough to not worry about travelling with it (sub-£200)
- definitely solid top, and all solid wood if possible
- A-style, not bothered whether it's f-holes or oval hole

So the candidates seem to be this Savannah (which is all solid), or one of the higher-end stage models (M40s is all-solid, apparently), one of the Ashbury ones (AM-10 is within that budget), the cheapest Kentucky (the KM-140 is on amazon for £199), or a Washburn M1S

Any thoughts?
printedland

Postby Ray(T) » Fri May 04, 2018 12:44 pm

I'm probably not the best person to ask re sub £200 mandolins - my travel mandolin used to be a '24 Snakehead but now I've "downgraded" to a Breedlove.The thing you will find though is that, if you're used to something much better, you won't be happy with a significantly lower grade instrument. It might be worthwhile looking for something used.
Ray(T)

Postby Daniel » Tue May 08, 2018 6:52 pm

Daniel

Postby printedland » Wed May 09, 2018 4:08 pm

Thanks, Daniel - that looks lovely for $200

Ian
printedland

Postby Ray(T) » Wed May 09, 2018 7:54 pm

+ currency exchange fees + shipping + import duty + VAT + possible charges for collecting the tax!
Ray(T)

Postby JIMMY POWELLS » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:27 pm

Hi. The Savannah SA-120 is definitely the one you need. Other models are nothing like as good as I think the SA-120 is all solid wood although it is no doubt pressed rather than carved. I've had over a dozen of these and they are unbelievable value for money.

These mandolins have been made in the same factory for years. They used to be Johnson M-100 and then Savannah.

Contact Cash Converters because they now sell them new as 'Republic' and they are the same mandolin and around £60. Best to go and check one out because no truss rod and of the 12 I've had, some were better than others.

Best value mandolin the world. No doubt. May need a little fret dressing and nut/bridge/ set up but they sound great.

I keep one for my Mandolin band and carry it in case anyone breaks a string on a gig. I actually put a set of Schaller tuners on because the mandolin was worth it.

Jimmy Powells
Northumberland.
Jimmy Powells
JIMMY POWELLS

Return to All mandolin subjects