My new mandolin

Discussion groups for those of you with an interest in the construction and repair of the mandolin family instruments.

Moderator: Dave Hanson

My new mandolin

Postby atticus » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:13 pm

I collected my new mandolin on Sunday, just over a year after I commissioned it. It was made for me by Bogdan Dobraszczyk, a luthier in Reading: http://www.bogdandobraszczyk.co.uk/home.html

I especially wanted a light coloured instrument. It is all maple, apart from the top, which is pine. My son created the templates for the sound holes on his CAD software, which were then e-mailed to Bogdan who had templates he could use laser cut. I did not want the classic "f" holes, and this design is a variation on something I found looking at hundreds of pictures of mandolins.

The neck and fretboard are all maple. The dots in the fretboard are abalone.

The instrument is beautifully made, Bogdan is a real craftsman. It was a long process, as Bogdan is not a full-time luthier, but I was always patient. I knew it would be worth the wait.

The sound is warmer and richer than my old mass-produced mandolin.

I am also getting used to the fact that the neck is about 2 inches longer than on my Ozark, so I am now getting my fingers used to finding the right frets!

Now all I have to do is get to be a good enough player to justify having my own unique hand-made mandolin!

beginner - with my own mandolin custom made by Bogdan Dobraszczyk
atticus

Re: My new mandolin

Postby John Kelly » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:05 pm

What a lovely instrument. I wish you all the best with it, and many happy hours of playing.
JK Mandolins - handcrafted in Argyll, Scotland
John Kelly

Postby Dave Hanson » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:51 pm

Beautiful instrument, although I would have preferred an ebony fingerboard myself.

Dave H
Dave Hanson

Postby atticus » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:16 am

Thank you both.

These things are very much a matter of taste. I thought long and hard about the fingerboard, and, speaking entirely for myself, I am very pleased with my choice. I do understand that others will have different preferences - Vive la difference!
atticus

Postby JIMMY POWELLS » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:54 pm

You must have a longer than normal scale length because I assume Ozark would be the normal 13 and 7/8. If yours is longer you'll need light strings.

best of luck with your playing :grin:
Jimmy Powells
JIMMY POWELLS

Postby atticus » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:52 pm

Thank you Jimmy. I finally got my tape measure out yesterday. The measurement from bridge to nut on the Ozark is 13 3/8 inches, and on my new mandolin 14 7/8. The new mando has one more fret.

The strings are D'Addario EXP74 .011 - .040. I had bought the set and asked Bogdan to use them.
atticus

Return to Builders / Repair