New to mandolins.......

MandolinTalk

Moderator: Dave Hanson

New to mandolins.......

Postby Bert Scrogshaw » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:06 pm

........and quite possibly the most used opening gambit /query on joining this forum.

Can anyone suggest a 'decent' first mandolin for a newcomer to learn on? My initial budget is a maximum of £300.

Thank you.
Bert Scrogshaw

Re: New to mandolins.......

Postby Onechordtrick » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:32 am

The Kentucky KM140 and Ashbury AM130 both fall in your budget. I haven’t played either but both are well regarded manufacturers and my Ashbury Octave (currently in the classifieds) has a lovely tone.

The best advice that I was never given was to make sure that you get it set up properly which means going to a shop that can do this well rather than a “box shifter”. Straight from the factory they will need some work done to get the action and intonation right. Otherwise you’ll end up with something that may well put you off playing.

The other rule of thumb is to expect to pay twice as much as you would for a guitar of comparable quality.

Good luck!
Onechordtrick

Postby Bert Scrogshaw » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:55 am

Thank you for your reply and mando suggestions Onechordtrick. Since my first post I've managed to visit a couple of local retailers and tried a few mandos. And I like it! Also looking online and a couple for sale have caught my eye. Both pre loved/used/second hand ( whatever the current vogue is for naming not new instruments). Both are Ashbury. One is a style E Celtic 10 string and the other is a Lindisfarne. I would prefer to play them before considering to buy.....but I might have to just go for one and have it posted.
Bert Scrogshaw

Postby Onechordtrick » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:32 am

Happy to help :grin:

I don’t know what your musical background is but I’d probably advise against the 10 string. All the learning materials etc. are geared towards 8 strings so you may find it confusing. Of course if you’re already skilled in another instrument or more musical than me it may be less of a challenge. The Lindisfarne is the “next one up” in the Ashbury range so all other things being equal I’d go for that.
Onechordtrick

Postby Bert Scrogshaw » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:20 pm

I'm grateful of your time and inclination to post on here. I might have to purchase soon as I'm one of lifes great procrastinators.
It took me around 3 years to take the plunge and buy an acoustic guitar. I can knock a few chords out (I generally only need three to play something nice) and I'm currently trying to play folk and in particular Celtic music in DADGAD.
I think that I've got the mandolin bug after seeing and hearing a feller called Damien O'Kane in a nice little folk group. He played banjo as well......but I think I'll give that a miss
Bert Scrogshaw

Postby Onechordtrick » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:28 pm

In which case I’d definitely go for the 8 string think you’ll find it easier. I’ve only been playing seriously for just over a year and think the extra course of strings would just get in my way!

Coincidentally I’m just about to dust of my guitar and give DADGAD a try.
Onechordtrick

Return to All mandolin subjects